Mapping/GPS on the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FiremanMike, Feb 5, 2011.

1. FiremanMike macrumors regular

Jan 26, 2011
    This was never even a question in my mind until I saw a thread on this forum asking which navigation app people PURCHASED. I'm coming from a droid 1, which obviously has google maps pre-installed and linked to my phones GPS, can be used as a navigation tool also.

Is this feature not pre-installed on iPhones? Doesn't have to be googlemaps, but anything at all?
  2. ineedamac macrumors 6502

Jul 10, 2008
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Google maps is part of the install base. On the iPhone Google maps does not offer voice guided turn by turn navigation.
  3. FiremanMike thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 26, 2011

Oh well, I guess it's pretty rare when I use that feature.
  4. Zero!sOne macrumors member

Apr 20, 2010
    I really like the TomTom app, if you're willing to drop $30-$40 on a good gps app. If not, there are several cheaper (and some free) alternatives that will give acceptable turn-by-turn directions.
  5. Apple... macrumors 68020

May 6, 2010
    The United States
  6. agtwashington macrumors newbie

Jul 16, 2010
    Get Navigon I have driven over 2,500 miles using it. Very good GPS software.
  7. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

Jul 20, 2009
    There are some fantastic GPS apps. I use TomTom.
  8. dffdce macrumors member

Jun 30, 2010
    I don't use it that often but mapquest has voice turn-by-turn directions and is free.
  9. TheyCallMeSaint macrumors regular

Oct 17, 2010
    In case it wasn't clear, it's worth noting that the preinstalled Maps App will give turn by turn directions; they just won't be verbally dictated, and you will have to press a button to get the next step.
  10. Rodvette macrumors regular

Jan 15, 2011
    I have heard that app recommended before, if you don't mind me asking do you live in California or the bay area? I am looking into purchasing a GPS app for my iphone when i get it and I dont mind dropping 40-50 bucks as long as it works well in the area where I drive, in my case, the bay area.