Mapping/GPS on the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FiremanMike, Feb 5, 2011.

1. FiremanMike macrumors regular

This was never even a question in my mind until I saw a thread on this forum asking which navigation app people PURCHASED. I'm coming from a droid 1, which obviously has google maps pre-installed and linked to my phones GPS, can be used as a navigation tool also.

Is this feature not pre-installed on iPhones? Doesn't have to be googlemaps, but anything at all?

2. ineedamac macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Google maps is part of the install base. On the iPhone Google maps does not offer voice guided turn by turn navigation.

3. FiremanMike thread starter macrumors regular

:(

Oh well, I guess it's pretty rare when I use that feature.

4. Zero!sOne macrumors member

I really like the TomTom app, if you're willing to drop $30-$40 on a good gps app. If not, there are several cheaper (and some free) alternatives that will give acceptable turn-by-turn directions.

5. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

6. agtwashington macrumors newbie

Get Navigon I have driven over 2,500 miles using it. Very good GPS software.

7. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

There are some fantastic GPS apps. I use TomTom.

8. dffdce macrumors member

I don't use it that often but mapquest has voice turn-by-turn directions and is free.

9. TheyCallMeSaint macrumors regular

In case it wasn't clear, it's worth noting that the preinstalled Maps App will give turn by turn directions; they just won't be verbally dictated, and you will have to press a button to get the next step.

10. Rodvette macrumors regular

I have heard that app recommended before, if you don't mind me asking do you live in California or the bay area? I am looking into purchasing a GPS app for my iphone when i get it and I dont mind dropping 40-50 bucks as long as it works well in the area where I drive, in my case, the bay area.