Mapping images over movies in FCP?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Petey05, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Petey05 macrumors newbie

Hi. I'm a FCP novice.

I want to enter the Colbert "McCain Challenge" where a greenscreened version of McCain is placed in "interesting" situations.

Somebody made this youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G9jA-FGGd8

Where they took his head and mapped it over the body of one of the performers. I want to do the same thing for another music video.

I've already chroma keyed and cropped til I have just his upper body (still need to crop down to the head) but what I don't know how to do is map it to the head of one of the performers the way the other guy did. I don't even know what that technique is called so I can't do any research on my own.

Any info that might point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

That's a funny video - I like the idea!

As far as "mapping" goes, do you mean to move the position of the image around so it matches what it's replacing? I think your best bet is to define keyframes for the position (and maybe the scale) of the image. There is a feature called "tracking" in Shake (maybe in Motion too? not sure...) which automates this process, but it requires an easy to identify point that it can track - you may or may not have such a point.

Or did I misunderstand your question?

- Martin

3. Petey05 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm trying it in Motion. It's very hard because the "Thriller" video is dark!

Actually the biggest problem I'm running into in FCP is that I can't figure out how to key just McCain's face. I can use the green screen to get his upper body in the video, but I can't key on his face no matter what I do. Is there some sort of "color based crop feature" besides chroma keying that I'm missing?

4. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

Sounds like a job for rotoscoping. Section 12 of the Motion 3 manual explains how to do this. It's labor intensive, because you have to keyframe the rotoshape pretty much frame by frame - but that's what is used when automated techniques (like chroma keying) don't work.

Here's a video that shows some of the things you can do with rotoscoping:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z32h-b9-8Qw

- Martin