Mapping other keys to volume

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mason.kramer, Mar 6, 2009.

1. mason.kramer macrumors 6502

mason.kramer

I just got a non-Apple keyboard, the Unicomp 104, and I absolutely love this beast. They even printed me custom "command" and "option" keys when I asked them to. The only thing I miss is that there are no volume control keys.

Now, I found this link with a little hack to make an Applescript to change the volume:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=144749

This is much better than nothing, however I wonder if anyone knows how to map the vol+, vol-, and mute keys to other keys on the keyboard. I'd rather have that, because that way gives me the white volume box, and has the popping sound to give me an idea of the volume level, and can be modified with option for more incremental control, etc.

TIA

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Hmm, I'm not sure how you'd emulate the volume control keys. However, Quicksilver will allow you to map the AppleScript volume changer to any key you like. You can even add a feedback sound to the AppleScript, although you're out of luck on the dialog I'm afraid.

3. mason.kramer thread starter macrumors 6502

mason.kramer

Thanks for the link, I'm a long time QS user and that's exactly what I've done with the scripts to make them useful :D

4. griffin34 macrumors newbie

Thanks, I've copied that little script and linked it to Quicksilver. However a neater solution might be to remap the keys using xmodmap. But I'd like to know if someone else has done this before I try and learn about xmodmap ...

G