Mapping via GPS with an iPod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by CrashX, Mar 24, 2014.

1. CrashX macrumors regular

Does anyone know if the Transit app or any of the other "mapping" apps can be used on an iPod touch without persistent WiFi, storing information offline and utilizing the GPS?

For instance, in a big city, someone who visits a coffee shop might be able to "update" new information on bus schedules and whatnot when WiFi is available...

Basically, I'm trying to find a solution for someone who can't afford a cellular plan - but I'd like to buy an iPod touch if they can use it to get around town easier and also check in via FaceTime with people when WiFi is accessible.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. 7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

iPod touch doesn't have GPS. Buy an iPhone if you want GPS. Relying on wifi for navigation is ....unreliable.

3. $M.H$ macrumors member

I have the iPod touch 5 ,, NO GPS :"-(
    U can use Google Maps app ,, it works offline
    Even no need for a WiFi :D

In iPhone u will get GPS

4. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Wow! I never knew this. I was going to buy a 5th gen touch to use for various things and to supplement my iPhone. Not anymore. Oh well, the touch is so cute but there is no way I will ever buy any new device that doesn't have a GPS receiver.

5. Chatter macrumors 6502a

You could buy an external GPS receiver for ~$100. The new ones are relatively small and you can only plug them in when needed. No data needed in this case.
    Now, are these any good? I dont know so please research that before buying. I have a friend who swears by his but the online reviews are conflicted.

6. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

What I liked about the 5th gen touch was how svelte it is - carrying around extra bits is a huge turnoff.