Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

122445-mapquest_4_mobile.jpg

MapQuest yesterday announced the launch of a major update to its MapQuest 4 Mobile GPS application for the iPhone, bringing basic turn-by-turn voice guidance and off-route assistance to the free application.
We're pleased to announce that basic Voice Guidance is now available on our MapQuest 4 Mobile iPhone app. This is an exciting feature that really differentiates us from most other free navigation apps available for iPhone.
The new update also adds the ability to double tap to zoom out on maps, as well as a new energy saving mode that dims the screen during voice guidance.

MapQuest also offers a more advanced subscription-based GPS navigation application, MapQuest Navigator, priced at $0.99 for the application and $29.99 per year for service. Shorter subscriptions are also available.

Article Link: Mapquest Offers Free Basic Turn-by-Turn GPS for iPhone

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I like the fact its free!

I'm not sure how well it will work though, since its so basic. I might try using it on my way home from work today. I've always wanted a turn by turn GPS app, but haven't been willing to pay the high prices that most of them are offered at.

Fafafoooey

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2007
USA
it is ok but,

still needs internet to download maps. I got the Co-Pilot app when it was on sale for $19.99. All maps are local on the phone. no need for internet. maybe if Mapquest just added all the maps to the app, it might do well. still a step in the right direction.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I think the iPad is going to be great for maps and directions. No more squinting or repeatedly zooming in and out to get your bearings. Voice directions don't depend on screen size, of course, but chances are that you'll both look and listen.

gber

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
You get what you pay for!

Voice is choppy and of poor quality. Application crashed twice in 15 minutes of use. Could not find basic searches in my location. No interface with contact list. I have already deleted this App.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I think the iPad is going to be great for maps and directions. No more squinting or repeatedly zooming in and out to get your bearings. Voice directions don't depend on screen size, of course, but chances are that you'll both look and listen.

I don't particularly like the idea of people pinching and zooming while driving - but I guess it would be easier and quicker on a larger screen if people are going to do it.

ltcol266845

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2006
Elgin, IL
I'm very good with directions, so Google Maps functions nicely for me, just to fill in the blanks if I've never been to a place before.

Otherwise, how does this compare to the Motion-X GPS App? I have it, though I don't use it very often because its pretty darn slow on my iPhone 3G. Well, almost everything is really slow on my iPhone. :(

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I don't particularly like the idea of people pinching and zooming while driving - but I guess it would be easier and quicker on a larger screen if people are going to do it.
I don't use the iPhone while driving (you can tell because I'm still here and not in a ditch on the side of the road).

But when I drive with other people, one of us drives and the other navigates and the iPhone screen is a bit too small for best efficiency. An iPad would be better.

gbfkicks

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
I used it yesterday after it came out--worked just fine for me here in Chicago. It doesn't have many extra features, but it's excellent for a free app.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
I like the fact its free!

I'm not sure how well it will work though, since its so basic. I might try using it on my way home from work today. I've always wanted a turn by turn GPS app, but haven't been willing to pay the high prices that most of them are offered at.

MotionX gps drive for $2.99? You only pay more if you want live voice and you can pay that by the month for $3 when you need it. You probably won't need it. The $2.99 version does have a couple hold outs. The voice and you have to advance the turn by turn yourself. Which I've found really isn't that big of a deal. Neither is the lack of voice. It will play your itunes while you use it too.

kwyn

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2009
Does it rotate with the direction you are driving on top on the iPhone 3G? Google Maps doesn't. I think only on the 3GS

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Does it rotate with the direction you are driving on top on the iPhone 3G? Google Maps doesn't. I think only on the 3GS

That would be because the 3G has no magnetometer to serve as a compass, so this would be impossible on the 3G.

But to answer your question the Mapquest app doesn't rotate on the 3G or 3GS.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
That would be because the 3G has no magnetometer to serve as a compass, so this would be impossible on the 3G.

Which is one of many reasons why I love my Droid. It has a built-in mag.

fr0

macrumors member
May 6, 2004
This should be a nice little temporary solution until Google Maps is updated with turn-by-turn. I'm hoping we'll see that by June/July. Especially since El-Jobso was seen making nice with his buddy at Google.

OhNoASquirrel

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2009

It (the iPad) might be great at displaying maps (if you get the 3G version) or showing a list of directions...but without GPS, it won't be much different than a paper map or a printout of directions.

snowleopard2009

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2009

No it wouldn't. All GPS' do this. It just takes 2 seconds to figure what direction you're moving in. No compass needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.