Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elhammond

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I am looking for a map program along with a USB GPS Device that would be compatible with my MacBook. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
E

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
GPS device

If anyone's still following this thread - I just bought a Holux 236. Its a Bluetooth GPS reciever and works great on OS X. However, there is no software (that iv yet come accross) to turn the GPS data onto a map.

I plan to write a cocoa app to take the GPS values and place them onto a Google Maps page. I'll be a while :)

F

flir67

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2005
garmin was suppose to offer mac support about a year ago but nothing more has been heard about it.

Dave the Great

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2004
If anyone's still following this thread - I just bought a Holux 236. Its a Bluetooth GPS reciever and works great on OS X. However, there is no software (that iv yet come accross) to turn the GPS data onto a map.

I plan to write a cocoa app to take the GPS values and place them onto a Google Maps page. I'll be a while :)

F

Yes, that is one area that the Mac sucks in.

However, there is routebuddy I guess it still has some ways to go though. It is not really for in car use and there are some issues of incorrect routing. The new version is supposed to have some great upgrades, but I thought it was to be already released awhile ago. Maybe they ran into some issues?

Other than that, I ran into only one other program. It was more of a scientific program than a commercial friendly one, and I didn't keep the link or name of it. Sorry.

Good Luck!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.