Maps.app not finding results

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by hehe299792458, Feb 2, 2014.

1. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

Maps.app is not finding the most basic results. When I type in New York, NY this is what I get:

[​IMG]

2. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

mikecwest

Are you using a VPN, anonymous web proxy, DNS servers, ISP, or some other device/service that would cause your computer to think that you are using an IP address in China??

I believe maps uses your IP address, as your macbook probably is not connected to a GPS device.

In a similar way, I often find that location based services cause webpages to give me results near Kansas City, Missouri when I connect to the internet using my Sprint Cell Phone. On a wifi connection it will normally show results nearby. If I connect through some hotel or public hotspots, especially paid ones like Motel 6, it will show results based on some similar location.

It does look as if it is trying to find things called "New York" that are nearby where it may THINK you are.

Another thing to check, is to make sure that you have your timezone set correctly.

3. hehe299792458 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

I'm not using a VPN or proxy or anything like that though.

4. LV426 macrumors 6502a

What you are getting back is a list of businesses and places of interest. You will get back a similar list if you type Burger King.

Something that's interesting me is that your search box indicates "New York New York", when you claim to be typing "New York, NY". Something is not quite as it seems.

If you just type "New York" in the search box, you should see a dynamic popup of bookmarks, businesses, queries and addresses. Does the address "New York United States" appear in your popup?