Maps.app not giving fastest directions when blatently obvious...Google/Apple's fault?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Luke1robb, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

So as you can see in the screenshots, I was traveling home on I-95 and decided to see how long it would take to get home from where I was. I fired up the Maps app on my iPhone 3G and got directions. Strangely, the maps app wanted me to go 93 north, which would take me 52 minutes as you can see in the second screenshot. I knew this was incorrect and that it was longer than taking 95 north to 90 east. So I continued to refresh the directions with my current location. After a couple of times, and we're talking maybe a half a mile, the directions changed to go 95 north to 90 east and said that it would take 29 minutes as you can see below. You can see that the location is almost exactly the same.

So my questions for you all are 1) has anyone had this same problem with the maps app, and 2) is this Google or Apple's problem or both? What can be done to fix this problem?

Attached Files:

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Hey Luke, I've experienced a similar problem while I was up in the Tahoe area CA/NV and Maps showed a road that had been demolished about three years ago, and only thing remaining is dirt, boulders and a sharp drop-off at the beginning of the route...:eek:

3. Luke1robb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

Ya that's crazy too, but the thing about my situation is, is that the Maps app clearly knows that one way takes 32 minutes and the other 52 minutes, so why is it telling me to take the 52 minute trip instead of the 32 minute trip? That seems like something that could be fixed extremely fast and easy, or is it?

4. Acronym macrumors 68000

click on the walk icon it is a far more direct root. have never actualy used the maps for that purpose but that is one thing you could try

5. RiceRacerDX macrumors 6502

The maps app definitely needs an update to fix this. I've had the same problems where I wanted to go just a few miles down the street, but it tells me I need to go in a complete tangent and around in a big circle instead of the obvious straight shot road.

My suggestion to fix this update is to give certain options for directions such as:
    -fastest route
    -shortest route
    -most scenic route
    (I know there are more, but I just can't think of them)

I have used options similar to the aforementioned on other online maps resources before. I mean it's not much to ask for....but then again, so is copy and paste.

6. RiceRacerDX macrumors 6502

I think by default the maps app will not actually let you walk on the highway.

7. apeacock macrumors member

I believe this is a Google problem - I've had Google Maps give me these exact same kinds of screwy directions from my house to work (it wanted me to go 20 miles out of my way)

8. pavvento macrumors 6502

slightly off topic, but I would like them to allow you to change the route the way you can in google maps on your computer. Sometimes I know of a different way, but can't remember it exactly, and it'd be great to just click for different routes, or drag the highways like you can from the website.

9. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

Turn off the traffic data.

Google's traffic isn't up to 100% just yet.

10. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Thing is with a lot of these things is they'll get you to take motorways or highways above lower graded roads.

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Apple (like every other user of this particular Maps application) simply connects to Google, which in turn passes the call on to the TeleAtlas map servers. So it's there that any fix would have to be done.

It always pays to use common sense, anyway. Map programs are not perfect, although a dedicated GPS usually does pretty well.

I remember in the early days, one of the map apps told me to cross over the George Washington Bridge in NYC and then do a U-turn back to the same side of the river. It simply calculated that it was shorter than the normal convoluted exit without crossing. Of course, it didn't take into account the 1) toll fee, 2) traffic time, and 3) just plain insanity of the idea :)

12. Luke1robb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

Ummm... maybe I should have explained better. I was on a highway in my car going 75 MPH. Walking isn't really an option at that point. Walking directions are far less efficient as well as they don't use highways.

13. Luke1robb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

I like this idea too, but the problem is that, like copy & paste, this would require multiple finger inputs and hence, Apple is unlikely to add the functionality anytime soon.

14. Luke1robb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

Ummm, although the traffic data might not be 100% correct yet, shouldn't the app and phone know that 52 > 29 and not the other way around. Clearly the Maps app doesn't calculate multiple routes and compare them, it just does the one it knows is usually right.

15. Luke1robb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

But the thing is, 95, 90, and 93 are all highways and all good roads. I don't think your explanation holds up here.

16. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Indeed, but a large section of the journey that you wanted maps to do appears to not to be on a highway..?

17. Luke1robb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

Even if it sent me 95 to 90, the trip would still only be around 32 minutes, so the maps app still seems to be at a loss of a good explanation.