Maps app - streetview orientation?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Simon R., Aug 19, 2010.

1. Simon R. macrumors 6502

Hi.

I just wondered why the h*ll the Maps application changes orientation from portrait to landscape when you activate streetview!? I realize that it gives you a better overview, but when the application itself only works in portrait mode, it seems pretty stupid that you have to turn around your phone each time you enter/exit street view. Shouldn't this be a choice, being a native iPhone app? If the whole app could just work in landscape mode it would be fine, but right now it is downright silly.

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

It's just a minor inconvenience to flip the phone around. Streetview is definitely more usable when in landscape. In portrait, it'd be difficult to zoom in and out and move around with the picture being so small since it's a widescreen shot. Just some thoughts.

3. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

How do you activate street view in the maps app?

4. Airmark1 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

If available, the the address/business name that you are looking at in map view has a little "orange dude" on the left side of the label. Click that.

5. stagmeister macrumors regular

I haven't been able to make it work. It would be awesome though - it would allow you to do really cool "augmented reality" type-things.

6. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

I can's see why it would be hard to implement. The auto-rotating map view shows it could be done.

C.

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Think you answered the question yourself. Weather doesn't support landscape, is that something you want to complain about as well?

8. Simon R. thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you have a problem with people critisising Apple-related software/hardware?

As I also wrote, then the main map screen should at least be able to be viewed in landscape mode as well - this could work perfectly well.

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Nope, just gross misspellings. Sure, there's stuff to criticize (note spelling) about the iPhone and the software, but this isn't really one of them. I mean, if you're displeased by this, why not be able to view the maps in landscape mode? Or, like I said, other first party apps that don't offer this? Also, it wouldn't work perfectly well, you'd see like 1 and 1/3 buildings on there, and it wouldn't be visually helpful at all.

10. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

its a real mystery to me why all the apple apps are 100% compatible by now ( usable in both orientations

11. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

MacRumors. Serius busneiss.

12. Simon R. thread starter macrumors 6502

Ehh... Which is exactly what I was suggesting: that you should be able to view the map in landscape. And how does my 'gross misspelling' interfere with your ability to understand what I am talking about? Grow up...