Maps are absolutely ABYSMAL on iOS6

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by andymac2210, Sep 19, 2012.

1. andymac2210 macrumors regular

After watching the keynote and seeing 'ooh flyover', 'OOOH 3D' I expected maps to be great.
    I wouldn't say my expectations were 'high', I didn't expect everywhere to have 3d flyover, but I DID expect the imagery to be as good as, if not better than googles'.

Turns out, I was wrong.

Here's an image of Edinburgh castle, the biggest and best known landmark in Scotland.

[​IMG]

Looks like crap.

And here's an image of one of the main streets in Edinburgh's city center.
    On google maps those cars would of been so clear I probably could of told you the model of car (and I'm not a car guy).

[​IMG]

That's as far as it zooms in and it's fully rendered, total CRAP.
    Literally atrocious.
    Why is it so pixelated?

I've checked around and everywhere in the UK is just as bad (apart from one small area in London that has flyover).

I'm so disappointed right now.

2. bp1000 macrumors 65816

There is a 43 page thread on here with complete agreement

I didn't have the betas so I only found out today just how crap apple maps are too.

I could perhaps accept some issues in the countryside but London is missing a tonne of locations, high street stores, buildings and even tube stations are missing. That's just seriously low grade.

It's hard to find out where you are due to lack of area names blending too much into the background or no names at all.

It's terrible.

In my home town it couldn't even find some major high street stores.

3. DaffyDuck macrumors 6502

Fortunately, the satellite imagery is relatively easy to fix. For everything they depend on TomTom to fix, not so easy.

4. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Don't worry, it's just as bad in Tokyo. Train lines aren't shown or labeled, buildings are missing (like my building, which was constructed seven years ago), and the satellite imagery is as bad as yours. I was REALLY hoping google would release Google Maps as a standalone app, but so far no such luck.

5. matttye macrumors 601

They're appalling. :(

“Apple went out and partnered with the weakest player,” he said. “They’re now coming out with the lowest, weakest data set and they’re competing against Google, which has the highest data set. What’s going to happen with the Apple maps, is that you’re literally not going to find things. When you do find them, they might be in the wrong place or position geographically. And if you do have it, the route to it may not be the optimal route.”

~ Noam Bardin, Waze CEO.

6. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I for one really like Google and Apple. I miss the days when you could have a phone that took full advantage of both. Now it's Google or Apple. iPhone or Android. iCloud or Google Sync. It's one way or the other and I hate it!

7. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Your maps look a hell of a lot better than mine...

Attached Files:

8. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

That's not true. Look again.

9. twintin macrumors 6502

Agreed and soon we'll have Microsoft and their WP8 added to that mix.

10. DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

Quoting the CEO of a competing mapping app? :p

11. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

Then go back to Google maps, they are SOO much better as you can see :rolleyes:

I for one have been using maps and GPS on my iPhone EVERYDAY for 2+ years and Apple maps is my current first choice with MotionX GPS Drive as a backup.

Attached Files:

12. Scott006 macrumors member

It is so petty and spiteful that apple have tried to cut google out in every way possible, and they don't even replace these functions properly.

I for one use google maps quite a lot and have found its step by step directions, and public transport information, to be a lifesaver many times. It's miles ahead other apps, it is even much better at providing transport information than the dedicated public transport app for Scotland! :D

Remember, google maps still works in mobile browsers, I'll be using that until google hopefully produces an ios6 app! However, something tells me they'll be waiting a while to make sure everyone is well aware of how horrific apple maps are.. and who can blame them.

13. machpost macrumors 6502

machpost

The new maps app is really screwed up on my iPad 2. All I get is a black screen where the map should be in hybrid or satellite mode. I only get a map in standard mode.

14. eternalife macrumors regular

This can't be happening

I'm the biggest Apple fan out there and now I've got to go into my office tomorrow and hear about this. I've bragged on Apple's ability to execute on everything. All the Android users think I'm nuts. I just told maps to go to my home (near Atlanta, GA) and it put me 4 miles away on a similarly named street. This is truly pathetic.

Apple - how could you do this? This isn't just inconvenient, it is downright unacceptable. You've absolutely crippled one of the primary reasons for owning a 'Smart Phone' (find locations, etc.). My 'Smart Phone' has been turned into just a phone.

15. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

Your house seems to be stuck in some sort of a parallel universe!

16. musika macrumors 65816

musika

Honestly, 2009 was the sweet spot. Everything was in it's right place (yesterday I woke up sucking a lemon).

But really, though, we've come a long way with great new technologies. But in 2009, everything just seemed to work, for me at least.

17. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

Well, I'm not going to experience iOS6 until my iPhone 5 comes in the mail on friday. I'm sure the maps is a big disappointment, I'd just give it time. I'm sure by tomorrow Apple's feedback inbox will be FLOODED with feedback on their maps app. That will only light a fire under their ass so they can make vast improvements, I'm sure they're working on it every day. Also, I'm sure Google is working on a standalone Maps app too. Give it time

18. Joewat64 macrumors regular

I'm actually thinking about not even opening iPhone 5 on Friday and selling it. This IOS6 experience took the wow factor off the new phone.

----------

Who wants to wait for IOS7 for a new damn map? THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE OLD ONE!!!!!

19. af6pu macrumors newbie

iOS 6 Maps - a disaster!

I love my iPhone and all the apps that go along with it. I have since my first 3G that I stood in line for on the first Saturday that it came out. I have to tell you, this Maps app is a disaster! It is almost unusable. It has to be fixed or killed! I can't discern the roads from the background beige color, unless I zoom way in - then you can't tell where you're at. It's really a joke. I have no idea what they were thinking when they put this puppy out.

I absolutely appreciate many of the new features that they added with the turn-by-turn stuff and the recalculation of routes, but they totally bit it in the Maps graphics. The satellite view is a disapointment as well. I can only zoom in about half as close as I could with Google Maps, and the resolution is not quite as sharp, it appears to me.

I know that I am totally venting, but this is a complete disaster. I really rely on these maps, and they are totally bogus.

I used my updated Geocaching app with the new maps today, and it was a joke. All the little geocache markers were spinning back and forth like Max Headrooms head. It was really impossible to navigate my the goofy Apple Maps.

Apple has done so many good things - great things, but this totally bites!!!http://cdn.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/mad.gif

20. white4s macrumors 65816

my maps work fine and is pretty clear even at full zoom, that sucks for whoever it doesnt

21. pullfocus, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

There is nothing wrong with Apple Maps! Scotland is just blurry.

22. matttye macrumors 601

Apple Maps partnered with Waze for some of its' data, but leaned more heavily on TomTom.

There could be sour grapes but what he says is surprisingly accurate and shows a good understanding of the situation. Multiple people on here have reported the exact problems he's outlined.

----------

You're mapping it wrong!!