Maps constantly using my location

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stephen1108, Apr 12, 2017.

1. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

Hey guys, I need your feedback!

So ever since Sunday, the Apple Maps app has been using my location round the clock. The location services symbol is constantly in my status bar, which it never was before, and when checking my Privacy settings the only app currently using my location is Maps.

When I toggle the setting from "While Using in App" to "Never", of course it goes away, but I shouldn't have to do this.

The only thing that has recently changed on my device is on Sunday I used the "Mark My Location" feature, and I tried to hail an Uber from the Maps app for the first time ever. I typically don't use Apple Maps, as I prefer Google Maps, so this might be why I've never run into this problem before.

For the last day or so, I've had the location services turned off for Maps, but now that I've turned it back on it's still pulling my location and my phone is getting hot from it doing so. I've already restarted a number of times, and I even reset my location settings and privacy, to no avail. I even turned off the Uber extension in Apple Maps and that didn't help either.

If anyone can shed any light on this, I'd appreciate it! I'm running iOS 10.3.1 on a Red iPhone 7 Plus 256 GB if that helps.

2. canuckRus macrumors 6502

canuckRus

Wonder if deleting the app and a reinstall would work?

3. stephen1108 thread starter macrumors 65816

Does it REALLY delete it though? If anything doesn't it just remove user access to it?

4. blairian89 macrumors 6502

blairian89

That is not what my experience was for several different stock apps that I have deleted and later added back. I had to download the entire app from the App Store.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

It shows as if it would download it, but it doesn't really seem like it actually downloads it as it just almost instantly makes it available on the device.

6. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

7. canuckRus macrumors 6502

canuckRus

I said to "reinstall" and see if it changes in anyway. The same as a phone reset can sometimes fix an operating problem.

8. SurfyMurph macrumors newbie

Ditto. Same phone only matte black.

Did you ever figure it out?

Thanks!

9. DMaki650 macrumors 6502

DMaki650

I'm having the same issue with the Matte Black iPhone 7 Plus. I open up the maps app and when closing it it's constantly using my location even though the setting is set to only use my location when the app is open. I have to reset location settings under the Reset option just to get it to stop. But doing that also resets location for all apps that already requested it. SO you have to give permission all over again.

10. HEK Suspended

HEK

Try deleting uber app. I have read uber was tracking users after their ride.

11. maxjohnson2 macrumors regular

Try turning off these as well:
    IMG_0064.PNG

Or you can try deleting it and use Google Maps instead.

12. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816