Maps/Directions while not on WiFi

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sr5878, Sep 9, 2008.

1. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

hey folks,

If you get directions set on wifi, but then go driving without wifi, will directions still work? i realize the map won't load, but if it's in list mode (or even not) will moving forward/backward in the directions still work? thanks!

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I will say that it will work when you have no service with the iPhone, so I would think that it would work on the iPod touch.

TEG

3. Eric Isaacson macrumors 6502

yes, you can still read the directions in the list. you can also move forward and backward in the list

4. turtlebud macrumors 6502a

try this

so what eric said is true. the list mode is one way to go, that isn't dependent on wifi after you've gotten the directions loaded. the other thing that I've found is that if you "preload" the map portion (ie, click on route and step through the directions on the map), those piece of the map will remain cached (not sure for how long) and you should at least be able to see the key regions for each turn/exit/etc.

hope that helps!

5. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

It is funny that nobody has released a map storage app. You know, say where you live and it downloads/stores all local street maps.

I'd pay $5 for that!

6. sr5878 thread starter macrumors 6502a

heh, yeah. I have a 3G and i'd pay upwards of $10-20 for a Maps update with cached/saved regional/city/state maps. GPS is useless in a cellular dead zone!

7. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

There was an Offline Map Storage program that was on Installer.

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

And if you could just download via broadband a gig or so of maps and POIs for the area you are in then sync it to the iPod Touch, you'd have maps without needing wi-fi.