Maps eating a lot more battery since 9.X ?

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by Derek87, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Derek87 macrumors 6502

hi all,

i'm not sure when this began, perhaps with 9.0 or 9.1, but i find my iPhone 6 consumes a ton of battery using Apple maps. i don't have actually numbers to report because i don't have my old numbers, but roughly speaking, when i first got my iPhone 6 a year and a half ago, i projected that i could navigate with GPS, and screen on, for 5-6 hours. now, i'm guessing it couldn't handle more than 3 hours...probably less. i've also checked my battery health and capacity which is still nearly 100% of the original mAh rating.

has anyone else noticed this? i used to choose Apple maps for how efficient was in battery use compared with Google maps and Waze, but i may start migrating to the former (i like the lane guidance) if Apple maps is no better or worse in terms of battery consumption.

thanks for sharing any experiences or thoughts...

2. lauramayer macrumors regular

lauramayer

I can confirm this. I have the same problem, if I am using Apple Maps. Its scary to watch the battery symbol.

3. Derek87 thread starter macrumors 6502

misery likes company? anyone else?

i'm going to start using Google maps to see how that fairs in terms of consumption. it used to be a hog compared to Apple Maps, but i'm guessing it is now better or at least, no worse.