Maps: Hands-On Impressions

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by dmccloud, Sep 20, 2012.

1. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

I have been using iOS6 since WWDC due to being in the Developer program, so I decided to use the new Maps app while on vacation earlier this month. To me, the turn-by-turn directions were far superior to Google's implementation, for a few reasons:

1. Whether you keep the Maps app running full-screen or drop back to the home screen, you still get what looks like a highway sign giving you distance and directions on the route you have selected.

2. The accuracy was very impressive. The most the app was ever off by was about five feet, and that was in downtown Atlanta around Peachtree Center (where cell service was crappy to say the least).

3. Unlike my past experiences with similar apps, the new Maps app gives you enough advance notice to get into the right lane. Fir example, as soon as I would reach the off ramp from the interstate, the app would say "at Bobby Brown Boulevard, turn left". This meant I had plenty of time to get into the correct lane, saving myself time and hassle from turning the wrong direction.

4. In cases when I intentionally veered off the preplanned route, the app was able to update on the fly and adjust to my real location versus where I should have been originally.

5. Using Siri for the voice directions works well, because it provides a voice that many iPhone 4S/new iPad users are already familiar with. Furthermore, it was very easy to understand, even with radio and environmental noise at the same time.

I do have some gripes with other aspects of the new Maps app, but the turn-by-turn directions are a big improvement over anything else I have used in the past. I also used the feature in Chattanooga and Knoxville, and it worked just as well there as it did in Atlanta (so it's not just tuned for major cities).

If you're planning to take a trip and are driving, I'd recommend trying it for yourself. Your experiences might differ from mine, but it would be interesting to see what others think of this feature.

2. fins831 macrumors 6502a

Google Maps got me lost plenty of times. I tried Maps today on 1 route that always got me lost or took me to the wrong address....and Apple Maps worked better.

However, its problems stem from the lack of other stuff like street view, transit, etc.

Turn by Turn is fine by me, especially when we didn't have it, and now we do, for FREE.

will only get better with more iOS data fed into their app.

3. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

While it can find and display me on the map, any address I input shows up off by a few hundred feet (if it finds it at all).

For my home, Google thought I lived at my neighbors address- so I had to use that one in contacts for the geonet and start of directions. Now, Apple's has me living a few hundred feet away, inaccessible, in the middle of the woods.

4. intrepid00, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

intrepid00 macrumors 6502

My impression, they should get their money back from TomTom for POI. Also Heron Lake is now Lake Otter :|

I'm finding tons of wrong stuff in Annpolis, MD. One way streets not marked, two ways marked one way, wrong street names.

Like this.

Right
    [​IMG]

Apple Wrong
    [​IMG]

5. SR71 macrumors 68000

Personally, I wish they had partnered with Garmin. Based off of my experiences using Garmin's Nuvi navigation system in my car, I think partnering with them would've been much better. Anyone else agree?

6. intrepid00 macrumors 6502

Garmin and Navigon use Navteq maps which are the best maps in NA. Tele Atlas that TomTom uses and sells is a damn turd.

I could stay up all night pointing out just how bad Annapolis, MD is alone. Some of these are really, really bad mistakes for roads that are hundreds of years old in a state capital.

Right
    [​IMG]
    Apple Wrong
    [​IMG]
    Right
    [​IMG]
    Apple Wrong
    [​IMG]
    Right
    [​IMG]
    Apple Wrong
    [​IMG]

7. SR71 macrumors 68000

Just as I figured. Garmin maps are awesome.

8. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

I used turn by turn for the 1st time today as I am traveling and have a rental car. I decided to save myself the $10/day for GPS and use the new Maps. I know this town enough that if it gave me bad directions, I could prob find my way to where I needed to go :)

I have to say, I'm very pleased with the navigation. Accurate GPS tells you when you have a turn coming up, as good as the GPS I've paid for. Location to hotel was correct. I missed a turn (or two) but they were my fault as I wasn't paying attention. haha. But it got me back on course and wasn't annoyingly saying "rerouting" while it did its job.

So far, other than the subway maps back home in NY, I like the new Maps. I usually use Foursquare to find POI most of the time these days and iTrans is something I was already using for subway times & service alerts.

Clearly, not everyone is having the same experience and they don't want to hear "it will get better in time" or "try this alternative method" because they were used to Google Maps. BUt it is what it is.

Google Maps was pretty bad early on. They got better based on the USER information that was provided. It'll be the same w/ the new Maps app.

Also, if you aren't finding as many items, zoom in. Definitely not as complete as GMaps but so far, in my personal experience, I've found all the things I needed to find.