Maps in Mavericks missing!

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by vkd, Oct 2, 2016.

1. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

Some time back I did some 'housekeeping' and put the Apple Maps app in the Trash as I didn't use it. Since then, even with incremental OS updates it won't come back, although interestingly the iTunes app, which I deleted too, did come back. I am interested in getting Maps back again, to see if it has got any better, if it is any more useful than Google Maps. What would be the simplest way of doing this? Could I extract just that one file (the Maps app) from the 10.9 installation? I ask because I'm on 10.9.5 and don't see a full installation of this version available, only the combo update, and I don't wanna have to install a full (lower) version of 10.9 over what I already have (10.9.5) and then the combo update, that is far too much trouble for what it is worth.

2. KALLT macrumors 601

The combo update is a full installation of everything between 10.9.0 to 10.9.5. If it contains an updated Maps app (it might not if Apple never updated it in a Mavericks update), then you should be able to extract it from the package with an application like Pacifist. Otherwise you have to extract it from a complete Mavericks installation image (from the App Store).

Alternatively, you can reboot into Recovery and reinstall OS X from there. It will check your installation and download the full installer and install it over your existing system, repairing and replacing everything that is broken or missing. Afterwards you only need to download the latest security patch again.

3. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Big vote for Pacifist, a great utility.

4. vkd thread starter macrumors 6502a

vkd

Ah yea, good ol' Pacifist. Forgot about that. Thx.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 3, 2016 ---
    OK I extracted the Maps.app from the 10.9 installer using Pacifist. The version I got is Maps Version 1.0 (1398.25.8). Can someone with Mavericks 10.9.5 check to see if they have a more recent version than this, thanks.

5. prisstratton macrumors 6502

prisstratton

Just checked on my MBP running 10.9.5, version of Maps is 1.0 (1398.26.2)