Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
Maybe I missed this but I cannot find how to set the MAPS app to KM.

Actually there is no preferences for the MAPS app.

surely a KM setting is available ?

tyche

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
Mine shows in m/km. There doesn't seem to be a setting, what is your OS X region set to in System Preferences/language & region. Then go advanced. There is a measurements units.

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
Switzerland ?

I actually did a spotlight of "miles" in preferences and got no hits.

Guess google is better at search than Apple

I'll check again when back at my desk

Thxs

rikscha

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
London
Switzerland ?

I actually did a spotlight of "miles" in preferences and got no hits.

Guess google is better at search than Apple

I'll check again when back at my desk

Thxs

Had the same problem, and simply changed my regional settings to a non-UK country within Europe to fix it.

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
thanks to all,

The solution to set the measurement units for MAPS APP was indeed the Preferences/Languages & Regions/Advanced.../General/Measurement units

sort of hidden place, but it does work

hehe299792458

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
thanks to all,

The solution to set the measurement units for MAPS APP was indeed the Preferences/Languages & Regions/Advanced.../General/Measurement units

Is it possible to change the settings for Maps app individually? I rather have my other apps use inches and have Maps use KM. If I switch the settings in Languages & Regions, that changes it for all my apps.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
thanks to all,

You'd think so, wouldn't you. My region is set to United Kingdom; Advanced / Measurement Units are set to Metric. But this setting is ignored by the Maps app. Distances and scale always show in miles and yards.

----------

Had the same problem, and simply changed my regional settings to a non-UK country within Europe to fix it.

That's not much of a fix, because much else depends on your selected region. E.g. timezone, public holidays etc. I'd perhaps rethink that approach.

hehe299792458

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
That's not much of a fix, because much else depends on your selected region. E.g. timezone, public holidays etc. I'd perhaps rethink that approach.[/QUOTE]

Yea, especially for Pages.app. I want measures in inches. 8.5in x 11in paper. But when I choose metric, it converts that to a weird cm measurement. Can't make sense of it.

I just want maps to be in Km.

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
That's not much of a fix, because much else depends on your selected region. E.g. timezone, public holidays etc. I'd perhaps rethink that approach.

I tend to share your opinion. Its an easy one-line had they had the intelligence of having the setting in the MAPS app preferences (and not the System Preferences).

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
I tend to share your opinion. Its an easy one-line had they had the intelligence of having the setting in the MAPS app preferences (and not the System Preferences).

Actually, I wouldn't mind at all if Maps paid attention to my global measurement units setting, but it doesn't! At least not on my laptop, it doesn't. I like metric stuff. I have my SATNAV set to kilometres. But metric units in my system preferences won't persuade Maps to work in kilometres.

I agree with you that an application preference is called for. Despite my predilection for metric units – ignored – there may be occasions where I want to switch units in Maps itself.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Maybe I missed this but I cannot find how to set the MAPS app to KM.

Actually there is no preferences for the MAPS app.

surely a KM setting is available ?

It's always amusing anyway to see stalwarts like the US, Burma and Liberia making use of an obsolete and unscientific imperial system - it's high time this insanity ended once and for all. The SI is meant to be universal, period.

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
Agreed, and quite frankly if the iPhone MAPS APP can have a dedicated Km/Mi preference, why can this not exist in Mavericks ?

Mmmm maybe that would take up too much disk space ? (joke)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.