Maps iOS 6 question

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Fatboy71, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

Having seen the spoken turn by turn demos. It got me thinking what would happen if you were getting directions to somewhere and then you received a phone call. Would the maps app, directions disappear due to the incoming call or is there a way of setting up Maps to not allow incoming calls whilst getting directed to your destination.

I realize that I could use Airplane Mode but this would make the Maps app not work as it needs mobile data access.

Just wondered if anyone with iOS 6 and the new maps app could help answer my question.

Thanks in advance.

2. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

You just take the phone call and the turn-by-turn voice is off. Directions are still given.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

before you use turn-by-turn, just call everybody and tell them not to interrupt you until you reach your destination.

4. Fatboy71 thread starter macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

Thanks a lot for the help.

So basically the Maps app screen remains on and showing the directions etc, but the spoken turn by turn instructions are off?

So I take it there's no setting that would stop the ability of receiving calls whilst using the Maps app?

5. MrBudgie macrumors newbie

I imagine you could use do not disturb mode...but you'd have to turn it on manually and remember to turn it off when you get there ("Siri, remind me to turn off do not disturb when I get to x")

6. Fatboy71 thread starter macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

Good point I forgot about the do not disturb feature, I can remember seeing it on the Apple Keynote now you've mentioned it. Appreciate the help all.

7. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Do not disturb only works when the phone is locked. It's purpose is to not light up the phone's screen or to prevent some calls from ringing. It won't help when you are navigating as the screen will be on.

8. docmagoo2 macrumors member

Surely you'd pull over, answer said phone call and then continue on your journey once it was finished?

9. MrBudgie macrumors newbie

Navigation takes over the lock screen during a trip, so I think DND mode would still help keep calls hidden (unless they called twice in 3 minutes, then DND would e overridden)...I am just speculating though, I have no access to ios 6, maybe it's something a registered dev can confirm on his next road trip.

10. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Yes, I had not thought of that. I'll check the next time I'm out.

11. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Really? I've seen lots of reviews of the iOS 6 beta and many have DND turned on. I assume this is to prevent notifications while filming....

12. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Yes, really. In order for DND to work the phone has to be locked. During the DND period if you use the phone you get notifications.

13. Fatboy71 thread starter macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

Thanks for help mrapplegate much appreciated.

----------

More often than enough I would be on the Motorway when I would be using this, and you are not allowed to pull over/pull over onto the hard shoulder unless you breakdown or in an emergency.

----------

Thanks for that mrapplegate, I'd really appreciate it if you could do that :)

14. Fatboy71 thread starter macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

I was just wondering if anyone with iOS 6 installed has had a chance to try the above out whilst on a trip. Thanks.

15. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

If you close maps during navigation the current instruction is shown in the status bar. :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344586897.655128.jpg

16. Fatboy71 thread starter macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

That seems a really good thing to happen.

I don't suppose you know what happens if you receive a phone call, text message whilst you are using the Maps app to give you turn by turn spoken instructions?

If you have tried it, does the maps app, directions disappear due to the incoming call or is there a way of setting up Maps to not allow incoming calls etc (such as with the Do Not Disturb feature) whilst getting directed to your destination?

17. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

I gave navigation a good test yesterday on a 3 hour round trip but I didn't get any calls or texts. I'm not very popular hehe.

18. Fatboy71 thread starter macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

:D Thanks. I suppose someone will test it at some point and receive a call, just interested to see what happens.

19. Djs621 macrumors regular

What about listening to and controlling your music while navigating? Can you control the iPod via controls embedded in the maps app or can you double tap the home button to bring up controls.

20. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

Doesn't appear to be any embedded controls. You can double click home and swipe to the right to get the controls in usual way.

I've only tried it with Spotify though, I don't have any iPod music.

21. Djs621 macrumors regular

Yes there ya go because that's realistic and forward thinking

----------

Ok, that's what I'm used to doing with the tomtom app even though Tomtom does give you embedded controls.

Now, how about when voice navigation instructions are given. Do the instructions fade and interrupt the music (which I would prefer) or are the instructions given over the music? (which sucks)

22. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

An incoming call covers the whole screen. You would need to decline it to go back to the Maps. I'm not sure if they still "pop" up at the top if it needs to tell you about your next turn.

23. Djs621 macrumors regular

How about pressing the home button while on a call and just opening up the maps app. That's what I do now With tomtom, this way I can navigate and talk at the same time. If I want to return to the phone screen I just tap the green glowing bar on top.

24. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I'm curious how CDMA devices will handle it since CDMA currently doesn't support Talk and Data. Of course this will only affect the iPhone 4S users or 6th Generation iPhone users on CDMA networks without LTE (Which in the US is only Cricket). Later tonight I'll be testing this out to see what happens to the directions and let you guys know.

25. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

Active navigation works the same way as an active phone call then. Except its a glowing blue bar. :)
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344606788.904673.jpg