Maps - Is Imagery Being Rolled Back?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by NightFox, Nov 29, 2012.

1. NightFox, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012

NightFox macrumors 68000

NightFox

When iOS6 Maps came out, it was the only online mapping where the satellite imagery actually showed my house that was built 6 years ago - Google and the others still had the imagery from before it was built.

However, if I look on iOS Maps now, my house is no longer showing and the imagery now shows the old house that was there before, in fact it turns out that iOS6 is now using the same imagery as Microsoft's Bing Maps for my town (Bing on the left, iOS on the right below, sadly I've not got a grab of the earlier iOS Maps image which was far more up-to-date). So, has Apple already binned some of it's imagery and switched to another source, or is this just an interim improvement measure until it gets things properly sorted? I can't see Apple wanting to look the same as Bing for long, I guess this is just a short term measure to overcome large areas of the UK being hidden under cloud on the original iOS Maps imagery?

Attached Files:

2. mopatops macrumors regular

mopatops

My area has ~10 year old imagery from bing and 4-5 year old imagery from Apple. A vast improvement because Apple didn't show any satellite imagery at all in when it first rolled out.

3. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

well, an article today on the main page says Eddy Cue is starting to work with "external partners" since Maps is so crappy to the extent. Maybe this is the result? :confused:

4. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

Whilst I am pleased for the thread starter, I would personally rather Apple focused on getting street names, POIs & the basic map information correct rather than things like flyover & satellite imagery.

5. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

6. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

Apple just needs to admit it was not ready and go back to google maps.

7. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

Unlikely. Apple won't release something, then take it back all of a sudden just because it's not ready. From what everyone said, its quite good in majority of US too. Most likely Maps will just be left there and updates and improvements will be SLOWLY rolled out.

8. The Phazer macrumors 68030

More likely when Google Maps is released Apple Maps marketshare will fall like a stone, and it will slowly be left to die before being quietly killed as Ping was.

9. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

Yeah when people start using the superior Google Maps, I think people will forget about Apple maps by the time any corrections were fixed. Oh well, has Apple really triggered a landmine here? It's blowing up in their face.