Maps is incredible

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Funkmasta, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Funkmasta macrumors member

Say what you will about the condition of the imagery in the beta, but the iOS 6 Maps is one of the most amazing things I've seen in tech in a while. I still remember being blown away by satellite imagery on google maps less than a decade ago, and this is just like that all over again.

I pressed the 3d button and showed my GF Montreal in 3d and she literally gasped out loud when it slanted into place. When the high-res satellite stuff makes it in I think we are in for a real treat.

Should we expect a 3d "virtual street view" out of this technology in the coming year? When I zoom in it updates to a certain resolution already, one more level of resolution and we will already be approaching such a thing even in the beta here.

Just wanted to share, it feels awesome holding the future in my hands :)

2. newagemac macrumors 68020

I think Maps are incredible as well but I'm more surprised by how much better Apple was able to make turn by turn nav in iOS6 compared to all others before it. I have tried Google's navigation on a new Samsung S3 and older Nexus and I tried Navigon on iOS5. The implementation in iOS6 beats them hands down.

They'll need to continue adding more data throughout the beta but the implementation itself is superior right now to what Android and Navigon offers even if you don't count the Siri integration which Navigon might be able to offer in the future. There's just so many nice little extra touches that make the user experience better.

3. Funkmasta thread starter macrumors member

The C3 Technology demo showed some mind-blowing stuff dealing with 3d street view.

Should we temper expectations about the quality level? Because I'm only getting more excited if we're gonna see anything close to that in ios 6, exploring the world's great cities in full 3d right in your hand.

Never would have thought it would happen so fast, Ray Kurzweil is right.

4. throys macrumors 6502

Fully agree and this is just the 3rd beta. I'm sure by official release date it will be mind blowing.

5. Eddie Bombay macrumors 6502

Yup it's incredible, maybe one day they'll make it as good as Google Maps on Android.

6. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Remember that map data will continue to improve over time as well. They certainly have the funds to make the best map application on the planet...

7. Funkmasta thread starter macrumors member

I would say the fact that it's even close at this point (and better in some areas) does not bode well for google, who has been mapping for a decade or more.

If they've done so much two months into the first beta into a whole new service category Google had better be on watch.

Competition is good!

Edit:also I was unaware google maps on android had 3d mode.

8. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

They announced it about a week before Apple did.

9. Brazuca macrumors regular

Very curious to see if Apple's back end servers will be able to handle the massive load. Google has been doing this a long time. There is a lot of data to a lot of users in a lot of countries that Apple needs to serve very quickly and reliably.

50/50 if there are tons of glitches and lags in maps data in the first few months. I even wonder if this will be like the ATT screwup when the iPhone first launched.

10. OriginalClone macrumors regular

OriginalClone

Just don't say that to this guy
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1388147&highlight=maps
    lol

11. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Hah... I think of that and other early Maps threads as these new features seem to show up weekly and blow people away.

12. newagemac macrumors 68020

Actually they announced it would be coming sometime "in the future". They gave no date at all. And in fact they did NOT say it would be coming to their Google Maps app. They only said they would be adding it to their Google Earth app at some future time.

In other words, if their intent was to preempt Apple's announcement of 3D maps, it was a rather lame attempt.

13. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I don't know if incredible is the right word just yet. I know the turn-by-turn is pretty badass its instant. it beats the hell out of my indash if I turn off of a route it takes like 30seconds to a minute to recalculate. so far with the iphone it changes the route before i finish making the turn. but as far as just checking out maps is still kinda buggy and slow. the 3d feature is a novelty for most places it just warps the map.

14. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

Is Apple Maps slow for everybody else?

I haven't really been able to test it that much cause it's just doggone slow...

15. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

They still need to clean up the details. All of the water textures are straight and pointy.

16. DaffyDuck macrumors 6502

Maps would be incredible if the 3D and navigation were added to Google maps. Sorry, but even in beta 3, direct map comparisons between the two make Apple's maps look pre alpha, not beta. I have an iPad 2 with iOS 5 and an iPad 3 with iOS 6 beta 3 so I can pretty easily compare them. I really hope they are just holding back on the vector quality until release because they look pretty bad right now. I don't want to see the rough approximate shape of a lake, I want to see the actual shape. Also, Apple, please tone down the green color of park areas! I want to see where they are but geez they might as well be blinking neon orange right now. I guess they want to encourage us to go get some exercise.

17. Funkmasta thread starter macrumors member

For the record it's the 3d mode I'm talking about, not turn by turn or anything else.

Google "announced" their 3D, Apple's is already on my iPad. Granted its rough, being slow, lower res, and less populated with POI right now, but you can't argue that this is the most amazing map tech available on a consumer platform right now.

Can't wait to see how it improves over time.

18. DaffyDuck macrumors 6502

Amazing, yes. Actually useful as being delivered right now? In my opinion, no. Something I would show off a couple of times and that's about it. When I'm in a hurry and looking for a place, this is not something I will go to. I have on occasion used street view to verify an address is correct (you can sometimes tell by the signage in the area).

19. ErikGrim macrumors 68030

ErikGrim

Basically what they were announcing was: "Holy **** Apple is going to announce 3d maps? We better let people know that this is something we are thinking of implementing at some stage as well. Oh ****, our revenue."

20. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Maps.nokia.com has 3D maps that as I recall were pretty cool to play with, and I think they've been around for a while.

21. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

I happen to think the maps cartography is gorgeous. Apple has ALWAYS been about art. Every product they make is a work of art. The map cartography is so pleasant to look at.

That said, I wish they would change the color of highways so that it is different from the color of the turn by turn directions. 2 times already I have gone the wrong path because the highway color (light blue) is such a similar color to the direction path (blue)