Maps issue. Maybe it's a purposeful feature but I hate it

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by philipandrews, Jul 27, 2013.

1. philipandrews macrumors member

Not sure if this is how the app is supposed to work but with apple maps, while you are navigating a route I can't seem to move ahead.

To clarify I mean like use your finger to move freely about the route. Which is useful to see if there is traffic ahead or what ever you like. Seems like a very poorly design element.

Is anyone else experiencing this.

For everyone who takes these posts way to serious sorry if this is a redundant thread. #

2. joshforman macrumors regular

3. philipandrews thread starter macrumors member

Really I don't remember that. I guess I never used apple maps because of how atrocious it is. still is.

4. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

You can see the overview of your route if you click the overview button...

5. Stupotpot macrumors 6502

Stupotpot

Spot on - I've used it before and you can see the live trafic!

I know maps had issues when first launched but I use it regularly and have no issues with it at all!

6. philipandrews thread starter macrumors member

That seems overlay organized. Have to click a button then zoom back in?

Maps has been one of the biggest dissapointments for me.

7. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

The solution to your inquiry wouldn't be for Apple to let you scroll ahead. It would be for the Maps app to detect traffic and re-route you automatically without you needing to play an active role. Besides, you're supposed to be watching the road not the phone's screen.:)

8. kevpan815 macrumors 6502

Apple Maps has been a Joke from the very beginning. Apple Maps Street Name: Princeton Road. Correct Street Name: Whitehall Lane. Apple Maps Street Name: Oxford Harbor. Correct Street Name: Brixton Court. Apple Maps Directions: Make a Right Hand Turn on to A Dead End Street (NOT Sure how to spell it). Google Instructions (the correct ones as well) Make a right hand turn onto The correct street name towards the destination.

9. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Just use another maps app then. It isn't as if you're starved of choice.

10. DGPMaluco macrumors regular

Really? I thought not many people use google or apple maps... Because there are real navigation software out there.

11. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

I use apple maps pretty much exclusively, meets my needs well. About the only time I use something else is if I run up on very heavy traffic I will sometimes pull up Waze (like the real time user road reports).

12. Zcott macrumors 68020

Apple Maps is undergoing a bit of work. In previous betas there was a night mode, but that's been removed. Also, in beta 3 during navigation the entire map will disappear. That's a bit of a nuisance.

13. kevpan815 macrumors 6502

I was actually referring to the Program Called Navigation on my Samsung Galaxy S4 which uses Google Maps as it is a Jelly Bean 4.2.2 Android Phone as my comparison to Apple Maps, OH AND YES, Android does indeed get it right where Apple gets it wrong. Just FYI.

14. uhaas macrumors 6502

uhaas

Lately I've had the opposite experience where Apple gets it right and Google gets it wrong, but I'm certain YMMV on this one -- literally.

15. jutte64 macrumors regular

Then just use your Galaxy S4, if you have a better alternative why would you fuss with using the worse of the two?

I use Apple maps a lot, I like its lock screen function. There are times though when I know I am going somewhere they may be traffic issues I use Waze, if I am going to go somewhere I know I may lose service at some point I use the TomTom app. Use what you know works and move on.

16. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Apple Maps has been getting better and better in my experience, and there are a lot of little things that I have never really paid attention to until I used it on a long trip that are very useful as well. Live GPS in the lock screen, for example. If it displayed your speed it would be exactly what I need in a GPS. It has gotten me lost one time; I can say the same thing about Google Maps, and my old Garmin did it to me more than once.

All in all I'd say that I'm pretty happy with Apple Maps today.

17. shandyman Suspended

Exactly. Google maps removed one of the Scottish Islands from existence recently.....