Maps Location Wrong

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nightcap965, Sep 25, 2015.

1. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

Apple doesn't know where I live. More precisely, all of Apple's location services, both on Macs and on iOS devices, show me at the wrong address on the wrong street. When I look for my current location in Maps, it's correct within feet, but the address given is over a quarter mile away.

I use an Apple Airport Extreme connected to a Motorola Surfboard router and thence to Comcast. We have almost every bit of kit Apple makes, all running the most current versions of their respective operating systems. I can't find any setting to correct the location, and it's maddening.

I have reported this problem repeatedly in the Maps app, but there's no feedback. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

2. campyguy macrumors 68030

As to fixing your "home" address, IMHO you can likely blame TomTom/Teleatlas and maybe your county's GIS department for your incorrect location (if it's residential) and Apple for not choosing Navteq data for use here in North America.

I have two vehicles - a 2007 MB GL450 and a 2011 Subaru Foz XT Touring (the latter comes with nav). Both companies use Teleatlas as their data source on their nav DVDs. Both nav units, Apple Maps, and a TomTom unit put one of my field sites at "1394 W State Road 4". The actual address is "1394 W State Route 4". If I type in "1394 W State Route 4", then the "pin" shows up about 1/2-mile east of there - but it gets better...

Each of the Teleatlas-based "solutions" correctly identify other stretches of "W State Route 4" about a mile east and two miles west of there as "1394 W State Route 4"; the County Seat is the delimiter between "E" and "W" for that stretch of the State Route, in the County - yes, in both directions at the County lines the State Highway has different names. :mad: When I have subcontractors coming from Portland or officials coming from Olympia, I get that call "Where are you at?" or something like that - with different emphasis on one of those 4 words.

It turns out that one of the early plats showed that stretch of roadway as "W State Road 4" and was changed decades ago, but Teleatlas didn't change one stretch of the State highway for some unknown reason. I submitted the change, through the County office, to TomTom about 12 years ago and they still haven't gotten around to it. And, Google's Maps are even farther off, in the opposite direction! :rolleyes: So, I generally tie a colored balloon or flag to a sign now and email a marked-up map that I crib out from a Thomas Guide, so I know it's right!

I hope that Apple's mapping and MS's mapping solutions will improve our options. The only solution that I've found that gets a location close most of the time is "Here", which was Navteq and now is in the hands of VW and Daimler. Incidentally, a few months ago a car with "BING" plastered on the side and with one of those camera units mounted on the roof drove by the site address - Bing's new map site is online at http://www.bing.com/mapspreview and it's nuts-on with accurate street view and location (but it's not correct in maps.bing.com, which uses an older, farmed-out data source). Do what I did with Apple Maps - get over it and use another product for now, saddened to offer that.

3. nightcap965 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

There isn't another product. This is my Mac, my iPhone, my Watch. The Dark Skies weather forecast shows a different address than where I'm sitting. My Evernote notes are written from an address a quarter mile away. My photographs of the birds at my feeder are all stamped with the wrong location.

I'm not in Southern North Dakoka, I'm on Cape Cod, less than a hundred driving miles to Boston. My address has been here for over 30 years. There has to be some way to convince Apple to get it right.

4. campyguy macrumors 68030

No worries, I got the "Cape Cod" thing already from your cited location, and I'm from NYC but that doesn't mean anything here.

Apple buys/leases data from Teleatlas (it's in their disclaimer), Teleatlas is selling incorrect data and Apple is passing that along to us - including geotagging. I'm a civil engineer who has run survey crews for 30-odd years and subscribes to GIS data sources, and I know how the "backend" works far better than most. Take up your issue with TomTom or wait until Apple's new Maps platform shows up.