iPhone Maps Nav: what happens when you get a call on Verizon?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by glowingpear, Sep 14, 2012.

1. glowingpear macrumors newbie

So the news from last night that the VZW model will not have simultaneous voice and data stings. So here is a potentially painful scenario that someone with iOS 6 GM and a Verizon 4s can confirm or deny:

You load up maps and get turn by turn directions to somewhere. You start along your way, and you get a phone call. You answer the phone call, and while on the call, you approach a turn youre supposed to make. What happens?

I seriously hope the GPS points of the turns are all cached, so it can let you know what to do while on a call. If answering the phone (thus cutting your data connection on VZW) means that you are no longer alerted to any navigation activity, that could be a massive, massive problem.

So can anyone with a Verizon iPhone 4s, iOS 6 GM and a friend / second phone find out what happens?

2. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I am not on Verizon, but it is known that you just lose map/tile data and the audible turn by turn directions still function. Worse case scenario you lose visual data during the call but you still get audible directions.

3. glowingpear thread starter macrumors newbie

Can I respectfully ask how it is known? I've tried not to be a newb, i searched around as best I could before posting

4. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Someone posted a question during the beta and I tested it. Others posted the results as well. I don't know the exact post. Maps needs a data connection to work, but the turn by turn directions via voice still function is the bottom line. You can test by putting the phone in airplane mode while driving and see for yourself.

5. glowingpear thread starter macrumors newbie

oh awesome. my fears have been allayed somewhat, but itll still be the first thing i try myself. Thanks a bunch

6. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Exactly, I could only simulate a loss of data connection via airplane mode since I did not have a Verizon phone, but it should be the same. Some map data was cached but re-routing did not work, nor was the whole route cached.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I can't find the article right now, but I remember reading that the data along the route is cached. So if you route from Los Angeles to San Francisco it caches the data along that route. I remember the article even showed how it cached data a mile or two off the freeway route also.

I tried searching and can't find the article now to save my life. :mad:

8. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

The alternative for those who plan on using your phone as a turn-by-turn device frequently is to buy one of the stand-alone GPS apps. No data connection needed once all the maps are installed.

9. glowingpear thread starter macrumors newbie

That would be great. Considering how Apple usually operates, they start basic and expand from there. I could totally see losing directions when a call comes in as something that was left as a "we'll get to that." turns out its one of those "wow, really nice that they thought of that"