Maps - no traffic data?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by nk416, Jun 13, 2012.

1. nk416 macrumors newbie

Is anyone receiving traffic information in the maps app? I'm in Toronto right now and there is zero information.

App is also very buggy (expected I guess). Can't even search for an address without it crashing.

2. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

Ah yes, that's what I love about Google Maps on an Android. I give it voice commands for navigation and in return it gives me turn by turn with traffic data. Indispensable. Apple keeps copying Android, but everything they copy they implement half ass. Maybe one day they'll get it right.

3. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I don't have any issues with the maps or crashing, but c'mon. Calling a first beta half ass is kind of extreme.

4. johnsmclean macrumors member

I can see traffic info for New York, Boston. LA. None for where I live (Edinburgh) or in London. I assume that is because there are so few iOS 6 Beta users in Edinburgh at moment. Whereas there will be quite a few in somewhere as built up as Manhattan, etc ?

5. Antonov225 macrumors newbie

They replaced the best mapping system that exists with something half ass, and you're backing THEM up? How would you feel if the company that built your car replaced the Goodyear tires with their own brand that had half the life span without any cost saving or benefits to you?

6. Brammy macrumors 65816

It's not a released product. The beta currently exists so developers can make sure their apps work when iOS 6 is released this fall, likely in October.

Also, from what I remember, the traffic is crowd sourced. If there aren't a lot of people using the iOS 6 beta, you aren't going to get a lot of traffic information.

In your analogy, it's like getting pissed off that you get access to a new type of tire Goodyear is developing, and isn't ready for consumer use, and upset because you had a blow-out.

7. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I never backed them up, but even if I did it wasn't on the point you're bringing up.

The person I replied to was trying to compare Apples private BETA OS and map system, to a publicly available product.

I stand by what I said. You can't compare a beta to final.

If it were fall and iOS 6 was released as is, that'd be a different story. A lot will change between now and then.

I get what you're saying, but your comparison doesn't work. Car models are updated each year and I'd bet every manufacturer in the world has some updated testing model out in the wild now that will change when the final product is released. Until you see the final you can't really make a conclusion and even then you have the ability to decide whether you want to update or not.

Brammy beat me to my point. Exactly!