Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wingnut8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
I have my phone connected via Bluetooth, yet it isn't showing where I parked my car. I have the feature turned on in settings.

HickDead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2011
I believe that FREQUENT LOCATIONS needs to be enabled under settings > privacy > location services for this feature to work

CaptMarvel

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina
Add the widget for "Maps Destinations" and it should appear there. I think you can also do a force touch on the Maps app and see it there as well.

scapegoat81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2012
Philly
Can someone who has gotten this feature to work comment on which settings need to be turned on ? I have most turned off in Settings/Privacy/Location Services/System Services.
Turning on Frequent Locations makes sense but Location Based Alerts would also make sense

Shofar

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2013
England
Hi.
iPhone 6s with Parrot aftermarket car unit.
Settings
Settings > Privacy > Location Services > Maps > While Using the App
Settings > Notifications > Maps > Allow Notifications
Settings > Maps > Show Parked Location
Main Screen swipe left to right > Widgets > Edit > enable Maps Destinations

I mentioned in another thread that the first time I tried it out with navigation, the widget did not mark where I had parked but told me how long it would take to get home from where I was and dynamically updated traffic problems. Hitting the link in the widget opened maps and gave me directions home. When I arrived home it marked where I had parked the car - about 30 yards from the house.
On the second use, I used directions in Maps and it marked where I had parked the car away from home. It also kept my home location link in the widget and I hit that to open Maps and navigate back.
Haven't used it again and the widget is empty. Will try again in a day or so to see if it continues to work.
If there's anything I've forgotten will edit later.
Hope the above settings are helpful.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Worked once for me and never again - I have all the settings as outlined by Shofar

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I just ask Siri. In all honesty I don't need to be constantly reminded where I left my car. Lol

I'm pretty sure Apple does this on purpose. If you are forgetting you parked your car at your house you probably have bigger things to worry about.

I like how it works with my aftermarket head unit.

white4s

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2011
New Jersey
I just ask Siri. In all honesty I don't need to be constantly reminded where I left my car. Lol

I'm pretty sure Apple does this on purpose. If you are forgetting you parked your car at your house you probably have bigger things to worry about.

so you don't park at malls? sporting events? city blocks that all look the same? your home isn't the only place to park a car bro

Reactions: ABC5S

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
so you don't park at malls? sporting events? city blocks that all look the same? your home isn't the only place to park a car bro

What are you talking about?

Siri doesn't constantly remind you of your cars location because it assumes you knows where your car is....like at home was the example I used.

Reread the thread please.

msvadi

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2010
If you ask Siri where you parked your car, it will pull up Apple Maps and show you where your car is parked (for those that didn't know about this Siri feature).

Yes, that worked, thank you. I'm still wondering why there are no notifications even though they are enabled. At this point, parked car only works as a hidden Siri feature.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Yes, that worked, thank you. I'm still wondering why there are no notifications even though they are enabled. At this point, parked car only works as a hidden Siri feature.
After I did a clean install and reset all settings, it started working again (briefly). Now it is more miss than hit, at showing in the notifications widget. I hope Apple can get this fixed.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
Mine shows when I'm at work-AWESOME feature! But doesn't show at home.

Is that just because Apple knows it's my home, and intentionally disables it, or is something else going on?

(And whee, just today Siri quit being able to call someone in my contact list, instead pulling up a list of businesses with her name!)

Reactions: lancashirehotpot

lancashirehotpot

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2015
It worked this morning after I parked the car at work. Come back home and I am back to it not showing. Very weird.

From my experience it doesn't show home if you have the location saved as your home in your contact card. It shows me where I've parked everywhere else apart from when I'm at home as well, so I just assume they have set it that way under the assumption that we know where it's parked when we're at home (maybe - could easily be a bug)

Reactions: Apple_Robert

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
From my experience it doesn't show home if you have the location saved as your home in your contact card. It shows me where I've parked everywhere else apart from when I'm at home as well, so I just assume they have set it that way under the assumption that we know where it's parked when we're at home (maybe - could easily be a bug)

Thanks, yeah must (probably) be intentional. I get why they'd do that, except I'm sure there's tons of people who have questionable parking at their home too, so IMO it should still show parked car location, or at least have it as an option.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I would think there would be a distance limit for where it considers you to be at HOME or some other named location. I haven't played with it but I would think if you're 100 yards from home it would not consider you home. Maybe someone can do some testing - if you live in a big apartment complex and the parking was at one end and you are in your apartment would it then notify a location?

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
I would think there would be a distance limit for where it considers you to be at HOME or some other named location. I haven't played with it but I would think if you're 100 yards from home it would not consider you home. Maybe someone can do some testing - if you live in a big apartment complex and the parking was at one end and you are in your apartment would it then notify a location?

Yeah, that's true, it might not really be an issue even if you're not lucky enough to park in a garage or whatnot, depending on how far away it counts home.

I role my eyes at a lot of Apple's alleged "Magic" (even though I use multiple Apple products every day), BUT this car thing where it keeps track of your car passively, without you lift a finger/remembering, really does qualify as magic IMO!

I can't count the number of times growing up we'd be hunting for cars in giant lots/parking decks!

Shofar

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2013
England
Just for info, my garage is 30-yards away from my apartment, and Maps shows 'Parked Car Near Home, 30 yd'.

Can't try it any closer, unless I park in my downstairs neighbour's kitchen!

ChrissyJ05

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2016

What kind of aftermarket Bluetooth unit do you have?

curropb

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2013
Which device do you have? In my case, I've got an iPhone 5s and it has never works "parked car" feature.

However, my girlfriend has got an iPhone SE and parked car works fine since day one with my car...

I've read in other forums that the issue is focused on iPhone 5s model.

I've tried EVERYTHING, the only thing I haven't tried yet is restoring my iPhone as new phone and reinstall everything...however I prefer waiting for iOS 10.1 and seeing if the issue has been addressed...

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
Which device do you have? In my case, I've got an iPhone 5s and it has never works "parked car" feature.

However, my girlfriend has got an iPhone SE and parked car works fine since day one with my car...

I've read in other forums that the issue is focused on iPhone 5s model.

I've tried EVERYTHING, the only thing I haven't tried yet is restoring my iPhone as new phone and reinstall everything...however I prefer waiting for iOS 10.1 and seeing if the issue has been addressed...

Dumb question, but you're connecting to your car through Bluetooth, right? I *guess* that it "knows" where your car is based on it being connected through Bluetooth (or probably USB if it has that fancy car...feature...thingee...whatever that's called).
[doublepost=1477349633][/doublepost]
Just for info, my garage is 30-yards away from my apartment, and Maps shows 'Parked Car Near Home, 30 yd'.

Can't try it any closer, unless I park in my downstairs neighbour's kitchen!

That's great to know! Glad it keeps track of that, as I'd think TONS of people have to park their cars semi-randomly at home.

curropb

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2013
Obviously my Bluetooth connection is ON. In fact, I never disable BT in my phone...

Finally this morning I've restored my iPhone as new device. I've to see if finally the parked car feature works...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.