Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Branoic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2015
arrived this morning. So pretty :D

But cant get Maps to display correctly. Only shows a grey grid. Can use the crown to zoom in and out, but only shows the grid. Had a quick look online and some people recommended a hard reset on the phone. Tried that and no luck.

I can see that the watch and phone are communicating correctly - for example I can set up some directions on the watch and see the start and destination pins on the grid background, and on the phone I can see the full map. But no map on the watch. Anyone else have this?

oddysea992

macrumors member
May 5, 2015
Cambridge, UK
arrived this morning. So pretty :D

But cant get Maps to display correctly. Only shows a grey grid. Can use the crown to zoom in and out, but only shows the grid. Had a quick look online and some people recommended a hard reset on the phone. Tried that and no luck.

I can see that the watch and phone are communicating correctly - for example I can set up some directions on the watch and see the start and destination pins on the grid background, and on the phone I can see the full map. But no map on the watch. Anyone else have this?

Hi, not sure what your issue is but perhaps I can offer some more questions to help narrow it down. The maps on my watch do this when they are waiting for the data from the phone.

Are you connected to WiFI on the iPhone? Or are you on a cellular connection? If so is it edge, 3G, 4G?

The map data loads over the internet so I'd question if there is anything preventing your iPhone from pulling the data on behalf of the watch?

Branoic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2015
Hi, not sure what your issue is but perhaps I can offer some more questions to help narrow it down. The maps on my watch do this when they are waiting for the data from the phone.

Are you connected to WiFI on the iPhone? Or are you on a cellular connection? If so is it edge, 3G, 4G?

The map data loads over the internet so I'd question if there is anything preventing your iPhone from pulling the data on behalf of the watch?

Hi,
yep, on a very good wifi connection, and nothing else has any problems, everything else works perfectly on the phone and watch.

oddysea992

macrumors member
May 5, 2015
Cambridge, UK
Hi,
yep, on a very good wifi connection, and nothing else has any problems, everything else works perfectly on the phone and watch.

In that case; do you know if the WIFI is 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz? Would appear that there can be conflicts on the latter. Also if there are dual networks (i.e one on 2.4 and one on 5) that use the same network name that has caused issues in the past. There are threads on this forum about it, including recommended fixes.

Can't remember if you said; have you tried un-pairing and re-pairing the watch and phone? Also have you tried to shutdown and restart the watch and phone?

If none of that helps then I'm a bit stumped. :confused:

sometimes I find turning bluetooth off on the phone and back on again helps too. Since the 1.0.1 update things are definitely more stable though. Have you updated the watch to the latest OS?

Branoic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2015
In that case; do you know if the WIFI is 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz? Would appear that there can be conflicts on the latter. Also if there are dual networks (i.e one on 2.4 and one on 5) that use the same network name that has caused issues in the past. There are threads on this forum about it, including recommended fixes.

Can't remember if you said; have you tried un-pairing and re-pairing the watch and phone? Also have you tried to shutdown and restart the watch and phone?

If none of that helps then I'm a bit stumped. :confused:

sometimes I find turning bluetooth off on the phone and back on again helps too. Since the 1.0.1 update things are definitely more stable though. Have you updated the watch to the latest OS?

There's only one network. How do I check if its 2.4 or 5?

I tried pairing and unpairing, and powering off and on both devices. I've also tried switching wifi off on the phone so that its using the 3G network, which has a good strong signal. And I've also updated to the latest OS versions on both :(

oddysea992

macrumors member
May 5, 2015
Cambridge, UK
There's only one network. How do I check if its 2.4 or 5?

I tried pairing and unpairing, and powering off and on both devices. I've also tried switching wifi off on the phone so that its using the 3G network, which has a good strong signal. And I've also updated to the latest OS versions on both :(

Hmmm not easy really; I had to log into the wireless router before I could tell. Do you own a MacBook? If you do then you can hold the 'alt' key when clicking the wifi icon in the menu bar for a full listing of the currently connected wifi settings. Includes info such as channel frequency (2.4 or 5Ghz) + loads of other info (too much to list).

The only thing I can think of is there might be a wireless conflict then; but if it happens on 3G too then that kinda rules that out. One network name might have 2 frequencies; I could only tell my router did this by logging into it. You can't tell by just viewing the network name as the frequency you pick up is only the one your device prefers.

The Apple Watch requires a 2.4ghz wifi network AND no 5ghz network using the same name (or SSID).

Perhaps it is a software bug?

... but then I'd expect at least one other person to confirm that they cannot get the image to load at all too. I don't think it is an issue with the watch hardware; sounds more software related to me or perhaps it is the iPhone which is somehow blocking the info ...

PhantomProf

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2015
Same issue here. Just received my 42 mm. My wife's 38mm works fine with maps but mine has the gray grid. I can't seem to fix it.

----------

Same issue here. Just received my 42 mm. My wife's 38mm works fine with maps but mine has the gray grid. I can't seem to fix it.

BTW. All of my other apps know where I am as does my Apple maps. Just can't display the map.

----------

Time to call Apple.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.