Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2006
I was thinking about the whole EDGE WiFi issue and began looking for some webpages that had really good maps of free WiFi locations. After about 45 minutes of searching and coming up with some pretty poor results, I thought it would be a good idea to get this community involved and start a thread that listed the best websites for finding detailed map listings of WiFi locations.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2006
I gotta be honest, these all suck. Not knocking you guys, I came up with the sam crappy results. I appreciate the effort. Hopefully this will get more of a response tomorrow and we can put something useful together. Again I want to reemphasize map.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2006
I think it quite sucks. It produced 43 WiFi locations in the entire city of Philadelphia. I have maybe 40 within three square blocks.

severe

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
I think it quite sucks. It produced 43 WiFi locations in the entire city of Philadelphia. I have maybe 40 within three square blocks.

I think your thread quite sucks.

What is this, a joke? You make a request and then just berate people that attempt to contribute.

No offense. :rolleyes:

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005

Yes, but how many are residential networks that you probably shouldn't be jumping onto anyway?
Of course, not all hot spots are registered with jiwire, but it's a start. No website will have a complete list of all the free hot spots anywhere. They can sure try, but they're bound to miss a few.

loudestnoise

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
Nashville, TN
Check out this action!

http://hotspotr.com/wifi

BTW, this website is user contributed, so you find the hotspots and report back on whether or not they are free, have ample supply of outlets, what kind of food is served. It's really great. I've contributed a lot to Nashville, since I go to school there :)

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2006

I think your thread quite sucks.

What is this, a joke? You make a request and then just berate people that attempt to contribute.

No offense. :rolleyes:

I gotta be honest, these all suck. Not knocking you guys, I came up with the sam crappy results. I appreciate the effort. Hopefully this will get more of a response tomorrow and we can put something useful together. Again I want to reemphasize map.

I didn't berate a single person on here. You two are completely off the mark on this one. I was explicitly saying that those websites suck, which is completely fair to say. I followed by reiterating that it was the features of the website and the amount and type of info, not the people. No on was offended, other than the two of you who contributed nothing. In fact, the people who were so offended amazingly came back for more horrible treatment.

Check out this action!

http://hotspotr.com/wifi

BTW, this website is user contributed, so you find the hotspots and report back on whether or not they are free, have ample supply of outlets, what kind of food is served. It's really great. I've contributed a lot to Nashville, since I go to school there :)

Awesome find dude. And, all the better that is it user contributed, I am guessing it is updated rather frequently then.
Also, missed saying thank you to you katie ta achoo when I was responding to the two comments above this.

severe

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
I didn't berate a single person on here. You two are completely off the mark on this one. I was explicitly saying that those websites suck, which is completely fair to say. I followed by reiterating that it was the features of the website and the amount and type of info, not the people. No on was offended, other than the two of you who contributed nothing.

I was the first to contribute.

Awesome find dude. And, all the better that is it user contributed, I am guessing it is updated rather frequently then.
Also, missed saying thank you to you katie ta achoo when I was responding to the two comments above this.

Ha! :D

Look man, I'll say this and be done with it. IMO, it would be nice to have started a thread including ANY websites that could be helpful. You could then pick and choose what it is that works best for you. Had someone reposted a site that had already been listed, maybe then something could be said.

Instead, one would now have to make sure it meets your approval or be left a comment from you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.