Maps on iCloud.com show isles of Home Improvement store

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by FreeState, Apr 14, 2014.

1. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

I can only see this on the website (iCloud.com) - it doesn't show on the maps app (iOS & OSX), find my friends or anywhere else that I can find. Its accurate too. I can't find it anywhere else on the maps either. Not sure where the data is coming from.

Dixieline San Diego - Sports Arena
    3250 Sports Arena Blvd
    San Diego, CA 92110

Attached Files:

• map.png
      map.png
      File size:
      163.6 KB
      Views:
  2. campyguy macrumors 68030

The map comes from a newfangled source - it's called "Google Maps".

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

You mean to say it shows up using find my iPhone on iCloud because there is no maps app at iCloud.com.

I did go to find my iPhone at iCloud and came up with the same thing for a local home depot.

Google Maps does NOT show this info on the maps.google.com website.

On the left is iCloud. On the right is Google maps.

Attached Files:

4. anonnymouse, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014

anonnymouse macrumors regular

All the above are correct.

There is no "Maps" app in iCloud - only Find my iPhone, which uses Google Maps as the source data. It even says so on the lower right of the map itself.

Maps in Mavericks uses Apple's own mapping data, as does (Apple's) Maps on iOS 7.

So, you're looking (indirectly) at Google Maps data.

5. FreeState thread starter macrumors 68000

FreeState

Thanks - your right. I can't get the same data to show on Googles website however (Im sure I must be doing something wrong...).

6. anonnymouse macrumors regular

You're not. That's just the peculiarities of Google Maps and what they show on different platforms/apps.

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

You are. There should be a very small icon on top of the store. Click it and the isles show up.

8. campyguy macrumors 68030

First, I just wanted to let you know that I was being kind, but snarky in my first post. It was a long day (today's turning out to be the same...).

I've got a few friends in SD, hence my interest in your OP. RE the details, just zoom in and you'll see far more detail. My friends that own businesses have their location show up at certain zoom levels - the more you pay, the farther out you'll show up! The cheap guys show up only at the maximum zoom level! Cheers!