Maps on iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AFPoster, Oct 27, 2011.

1. AFPoster macrumors 65816

So got to love the new update for Maps in iOS 5. I have a friend with an Android phone and her's can tell you time limits on the distance and as you drive the time decreases and it moves to the next step. It also shows colors for traffic. Green means clear / normal, yellow stop and go and red bumper to bumper. Does the iPhone offer anything like this? Some step I might be missing?

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Sounds like Android has a more redefined version of Google Maps. (It doesn't surprise me.)

3. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Go into the Maps app and tap the page-curl in the bottom right corner. Then select "Show Traffic".

4. ewils19 macrumors 6502

The default Maps app on the iPhone can show you traffic. Open the app, click on the little icon in the bottom right corner, and then click show traffic.
    I also recently downloaded the Waze traffic app which has free navigation with it and it shows you your ETA.

5. mlad1101 macrumors regular

+1 The traffic option has been there forever and a day.

6. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Is Waze turning out to be a viable alternative for more "professional" gps apps, like Navigon? How's the traffic accuracy, pretty reliable?

7. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah I know about this feature, it's just not as intuitive as Androids. Like the previous poster said it's not surprise since Google would market it better to their platform over ours.

8. aztooh macrumors 6502a

It's not more "refined", it's completely different. It's a navigation application, not simply a map like iOS gets.

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Not out of the box but there are nav apps with traffic info.

10. walie macrumors 6502a

Google maps for Android completely blows the iOS Maps app away in both performance and features

11. Pravius macrumors regular

waze is built off of users in the area also using the app and sharing real time traffic information. I love this app because there are quite a few people using it in my area so it is pretty accurate.

I really love the app!

12. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

If the iOS needs one thing to improve on now after iOS 5, it's Google Maps. It's relatively stayed the same since like iOS 3, or even 2. Hope the two frenemies work it out and deliver Google Navigation or something of the likes soon!

13. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

The Google version is vastly superior, that's not news and to be expected since they make the app and the OS. They need something to try and draw people. Google Nav is one of the best nav apps I have ever used, free or otherwise.

14. hakr100 macrumors 6502a

It is head and shoulders above any similar app I have seen for the iPhone.

I haven't tried the Garmin app yet, though. I wouldn't mind a "try before you buy," but there isn't one available I have found. :mad:

15. whiskeyvol macrumors regular

you don't say? android = google

16. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Hmm, why would you ask if the iPhone offers anything like it if you already knew it did? As for it being "not as intuitive", care to elaborate?

17. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

I just feel that iOS 5 should have offered a "bigger" upgrade to Maps that's just as beneficial as any other platform / device. Don't get me wrong I love what I have just after seeing my friends phone I was like dang...I'd like that even more. I knew the iPhone showed traffic - I mean't did we have any button to click to show traffic and route together.

18. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Not sure what you mean by integration. What you quoted was referring to Google Nav (included with Google Maps on Android but not on IOS).

The word doesn't mean what the OP thinks it means. In both IOS and Andoid you bring up the layers and select traffic to view the traffic layer. Neither is more intuitive than the other.

Google Maps on IOS doesn't have any navigation. Intuitive isn't the word you're looking for.

19. jcorbin macrumors 6502a

i read that apple is acquiring a 3D mapping company and will be launching a whole new maps app in the next os update.

20. ewils19 macrumors 6502

I'm finding the traffic to be quite reliable. I think its more up to date than google maps is. Also, since it relies on user reports, it tells you how long ago the report was made.
    I used Waze this weekend to make a 800 mile road trip and it was very helpful.

21. pirarre macrumors 6502

I read an article about the this as well, however, I didn't see any mention of it coming in the next update.

I hope apple really jumps on this because Google Maps is what's keeping a lot android users from switching over.

22. benpatient macrumors 68000

They did, but it's worth noting that Google Maps (on a computer) already has 3D buildings.

I have to say that I was kind of shocked when I looked at it a few days ago. I didn't know they had added all of that info. I live in a relatively small city (Nashville), but it has every downtown building mapped and textured in 3D with imagery and structure accurately portrayed, just like they showed in the demos for that 3D company that Apple bought.

All Google has to do is issue an update to their Android app, and a 3D building layer will appear. Not sure how useful it would be in a navigation scenario, but they already have the tech, just a matter of turning on another layer.

They're probably waiting until phones can handle more 3D stuff.

23. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

this is my biggest complaint about the iphone! and one i really find suprising apple has not found a solution to. no native navigation!! and for the love of god apple if you're not going to offer it at least allow us to select a 3rd party app as the default! clicking on an address for directions in safari does me no good when it brings up your joke of a solution.

i miss my jailbreak :(

24. jade macrumors 6502

I loved that the Palm Pre would allow you to open an address in maps or Navigation. So helpful.

I am using Telenav. The UI while driving is good, but I don't like how to enter your address, especially on an iphone. Google Maps on Android does a better job. I like the surprisingly accurate "speak destination" feature. I didn't like the in route view so much though.

25. seajay96 macrumors 6502

So, basically what you're asking for is Apple to include standard (i.e. free) what several well known companies are selling in the App Store that Apple takes a percentage from? Not sure you're ever going to be happy :rolleyes: