Maps on OSX

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ed91, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Ed91, Jun 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2012

Ed91 macrumors 6502

This is purely a post for speculation, but it's something i've been wondering ever since the new Maps.app announcement: Do any of you guys think that Apple will release Maps.app on OS X - an equivalent to Google Earth, and thus a competitor to desktop/online Google Maps.

I wondered this, because seemingly, Apple now has the data to do it, and it would be another way to give google a hit - albeit a small one. Apple don't seem to be interested in providing an online solution, and are more focussed on native applications, which generally provide a much better user experience.

So with a new native mapping app on iOS, is a native app for OS X to follow, or simply too much effort for too little gain. Perhaps with 10.9?

I know I'd love to explore their new 3D imagery on my mac, but I have a feeling that it'll take a while.

What do you think?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They haven't released iBooks for OSX, so I'd say that Maps on OSX is a longshot.

3. Ed91 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's a fair point, but I'd say of the stock apps on iOS, Maps would be one of the few glaring omissions on OS X. Almost all of the stock apps will have OS X versions or equivalents once ML is released, so I'll try to keep my hopes up :eek:

As for iBooks, it would be nice to see it come to OS X with iCloud syncing, but only time will tell.

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

It would be great to be able to plan your next day's route on your computer and access it from the iPhone.

5. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

agree it would be absolutely amazing if apple launched a browser and os x version of maps to directly compete with google maps and sync all maps (pins, routes etc) with iCloud.

But unfortunately I don't think we will see this happen any time soon if ever.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

my guess is that once they have it pretty set on iOS 6 that it will be accessible on the desktop through the iCloud website so you can plan trips and that in advance and send to your iPhone/iPad. but maybe that is just wishful thinking. i'm still upset that there is no iBooks for OS X.

7. arashb macrumors 6502

I can see it happening, it will be another way to say screw you to google from Apple. Unless people really still use mapquest :p.

Isn't there a "Find my Mac/iPhone/iPad/iPod" app for the OS? Or was it just an iCloud web app? They would probably have to use their own maps app now for that.

8. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

I suspect it is priority 2, or further down the list.

Typically, most people don't need a map when at their desk.

Sure, you can plan a route that way, but the turn by turn navigation, traffic monitoring, etc is pretty useless when running on a notebook or desktop computer.

Also, allowing it to run on OS X means that people will be able to hack it to work on Windows most likely by changing their user agent string.

Apple isn't in the market of providing free services for everyone (their company isn't built on ad revenue), they've developed it for use on their hardware - the hardware they sell funds this sort of service.

So if it does come out, I suspect it will be a native app (rather than a web page) with some sort of encryption back to the server, to prevent it from running on non-apple devices.

----------

I'm sure apple would rather you do this from the comfort of your couch/bed/etc using your shiny new iPad :D

9. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Has there been any evidence that one will be able to plan a multi-destination trip...even from the iOS device?