Maps. Opens up on iPhone when start a route on Apple Watch. Turn off?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Irvin38a, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Irvin38a macrumors newbie

is this normal?

When I start a route on the watch the route appears on my locked iPhone. Is there a way to stop it firing up the phone screen and just stick to the watch?

I know I can press the lock button to turn off the phone screen but was wondering if you can bypass that and just not have it appear in the first place?

2. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Leave it open,the watch does actually only mirror the route from your phone,the only smart watches with stand alone navigation performance are the garmin fenix series.

3. chiefs1968 macrumors member

I completely turn off my iphone and with my watch connected to the home wifi I start the route by picking a destination and it then starts the route...but here is the thing....sometimes it starts the route when I am in my car and works perfectly and the next day I try it again and then it does NOT work. It just does not work consistently and hopefully apple will tweak it. By the way...the Samsung Gear S3 which a friend of mine has uses the 'here we go maps" and it works flawlessly...I would trade the apple watch for the Gear S3 any day.

4. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Does your friend use the S3 with an iPhone? The Samsung Watch is designed and equipped to work best with android devices.

5. chiefs1968 macrumors member

--- Post Merged, Jun 8, 2017 ---
    Sorry took so long to respond, but no, my friend has the Samsung galaxy S8 along with his Samsung gear s3 and I must say I am impressed with the watch. If Apple continue with the square the design this November then I am done with the apple watch because I prefer the round design or traditional look. Right now the Samsung Gear S3 with the Iphone is a big joke and its completely limited and crippled along with connection issues....Apple made sure that you will not stick with the Samsung Gear S3!!