iPhone Maps or Waze?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by eclipse01, Sep 19, 2012.

1. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

2. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Tossing in Motion X Drive which is my favorite.

3. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

Waze just works. Ok, it may not have every street name but it is good at finding the correct locations as i sources from many locations such as google, Bing, Foursquare to name a few. Routing on Waze is by far better than other apps such as TomTom, SatNav and dare I say it Google. Live traffic and reporting is also a major plus for Waze. Waze maps are also pretty up to date at correcting problems or adding a new road it will be fixed in 1-2 weeks by Waze editors, whereas TomTom (which is the base maps for much of Apple's maps) can be 1-2 years out of date.

4. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I've used both Waze and Motion X. I find Motion X is the better of the two for directions, etc.
    But I also like that Waze uses input from folks on the road real time which sometimes provides faster updates to traffic issues. The interface is cartoonish and I don't like the way Waze scrolls in and out, but it's easy to look ahead as you're driving.
    Overall, Motion X is my 'go to' navigation app- especially with the Voice Guidance feature activated.
    I rarely use the built in Map App in IOS5.x. I haven't upgraded to IOS 6 yet- I think I'll wait a while and see how things play out given the overall negative reaction from people who have posted on this forum.

5. rhino89 macrumors regular

I had the iOS 6 GM before it went public and had recently started a new job and now need navigation on a daily basis, so I put Waze and Apple Maps to the test and here's my advice:

Go with Waze for now. Apple Maps has a lot of potential, it's got great interface and design, BUT... the issues that I had with it is the lack of navigation optimization (you can't choose to avoid tolls or minimize turns or avoid highways, etc) while Waze does have those features. Also, the way Waze displays upcoming turns, directions, ETA, distance left, etc. is more well-placed on the screen than Apple Maps. I had trouble reading some of the finer text on Apple Maps while it was in my car mount, while Waze is no problem from any distance. As far as voice navigation, Apple Maps tended to be usually more specific (it guided me within a smaller set of roads within a large parking lot, as opposed to Waze which said "you've arrived" when I didn't even pull in to the parking lot yet). I personally avoid tolls so Waze is the right one for me. But Apple Maps is very well designed and has a great interface.

6. TG1 macrumors 6502a

TG1

I'll stick with Navigon. Offline maps and lane assist are real bright spots for me. :)

7. stuffradio macrumors 65816

Mapquest over Apple Maps. Great turn by turn app for the iPhone 4.

8. a.jfred macrumors 6502

Tossing in another vote for Waze & Motion X Drive. I used both apps (along with the old, Google, native Maps app) extensively when I drove from TX through Canada & into Alaska, and they worked *wonderfully*. I used them all for the US-only stuff (as I wasn't about to rack up international charges), and Motion X I pre-loaded the driving instructions when I was connected to Wi-Fi.