Maps, pin drop problem

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by jollyreaper, Oct 16, 2012.

1. jollyreaper macrumors regular

Had this problem in the last ios, also replicated here.

Go to big outdoor event, drop pin by car so I can find it again. Make sure it finds location, centers me on the map, drop pin, go off to have fun.

Try to navigate back to car, the dropped pin is nowhere near the right spot.

Tested this out again when doing a beach walk. Put pin by car, remembered where car was old-school way with landmarks, did walk, tested how badly maps failed on way back. Every time I told it to navigate to the pin it would move the pin to be right on top of where my current location was. Huh? Directions to, not from.

Near as I can figure, what happens is it locates the pin properly, pin location is under "end" and "start" is blank, I select current location from the short list below and then origin and destination are placed right on top of each other.

This flaw is easier to see when I'm several miles away from where the original pin was dropped.

Anyone else experiencing this behavior?

2. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Quite the opposite for me...have dropped a pin just to test directions and forget about it. Next time I go to do directions, always wants to take me to the place I last dropped a pin.

I just try and remember to "un-pin" before I close maps.

Going to try your issue right now since I need to run out to my car.

3. jollyreaper thread starter macrumors regular

4. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Whoops...went to a meeting and never replayed....worked fine for me, but would like to try a longer distance over a longer time period to see if that makes a difference.

5. jollyreaper thread starter macrumors regular

I'll try it again on the way to work, see what happens.

6. jollyreaper thread starter macrumors regular

Tested this out again, dropped a few pins. Confirmed.

1. Drop pin, move away from it physically.
    2. Confirm your current location is separated from where pin should appear.
    3. Pull up pin from bookmarks.
    4. Map will recenter where the pin should be but for some reason it does not display.
    5. Use the navigation tool to say navigate from current to bookmarked location.
    6. Behold, pin is now right on top of where your current location is instead of where it should be.

I must not be using the right words to describe this since google searches aren't turning up any results.

----------

Update: rebooting puts the pins back where they should be but any kind of navigation moves them on top of me. At one point earlier tonight it created a proper route but I'm not sure how I made it do that, cannot replicate.

Normal search navigation works fine assuming the POI info is correct. Much of it is not. Was better under old maps, obviously. My Garmin is doing pretty good, older and established database so that's understandable.