Maps Programs Will Not Move Upside Down

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Gmouse, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Gmouse macrumors regular

iPhone 6s+ and latest released iOS 9. When using Apple or Google Maps in my car, I like to put the phone in my console drink holder, upside down (speaker and lightening connector up) so I can hear the directions better. Neither Apple nor Google Maps will rotate upside down to all for this. They will rotate to either side being up, and right side up, but, will not allow use upside down.

Issue or working as designed?

Thanks.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

I don't believe the iPhone supports displaying anything upside down.

3. chscag macrumors 68000

Member "C DM" is correct. Your iPhone is working as designed.

4. chrfr macrumors 603

Apps can be coded to fully rotate but most don't. Overcast, the podcast player, will rotate upside down. It doesn't appear that Apple built this capability into its own Maps app, however.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems odd that apps would need to build that in given that if it was just available it should simply apply to essentially any app that supports portrait view given that it would be the same orientation that is already supported.

6. chrfr macrumors 603

It is strange, and it's too bad all apps don't do it. It'd be great to drop the phone in a cupholder in the car with the cables up as the OP suggests and have this work.

7. Gmouse thread starter macrumors regular

Guess I WAS wrong, sorry. But, on my iPad, Maps DOES move upside down (can move to all four sides as I rotate the iPad). Not sure why it doesn't work on iPhone that way...

8. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.