Maps question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dukebound85, May 25, 2009.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Is there a way when using the maps app to always have the direction you are moving in designated as the top of the screen? not north?

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

3. marold280 macrumors 6502

marold280

no mate sorry. you will have to speak directly to apples iPhone people XD

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    This will be possible with the new iPhone that has the magnometer. But not with the current 2G or 3G. :(

5. ajthomason macrumors 6502

It's not really a limitation of the hardware - it's just not a feature that they've implemented. GPS is perfectly capable of telling which direction you are travelling in to enough accuracy for a feature like this, sure a magnometer would make it easier/more accurate, but it doesn't mean they will add the feature if they haven't already.

6. bmms8 macrumors 68020

you would have to download gmaps east for this feature. i really encourage you to get this app if you use navigation a lot on your iPhone..

7. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

the hardware is perfectly capable. You will see this in OS3.0 either in the google maps or 3rd party app.

8. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Seeing as google maps currently is tiled map pieces, you'd have the names of streets, etc all upside down if you were able to twist the map round to the direction you're facing (e.g. South). Do maps that have this feature dynmically rotate the labels of the map?

Seems Google would have to change their way of doing the maps, or provide 2/4 versions of the tile with the labels at 0 degrees, 90 degrees, 180 and 270 degrees if they weren't overlaid afterwards?

9. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Possible, yes. But will it occur, who knows. I hope.

Do you know this for sure? I have ever seen any other implementation of Google Maps that is any way besides North facing.

As for other 3rd party maps, yes this can be done and is already being done in G-Maps.

10. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

how can it not be capable? the limitation is on the software side

11. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I highly doubt that the stock "Maps" app will incorporate this feature. But I guarantee that a third party navigation app will do this. :)

12. nicheco macrumors member

the last keynote explained that this is possible and there will probably be an application, google, tomtom, garmin, whatever, available at the same time os 3.0 is released.

13. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I never said not "capable," I just said I never seen any version of Google Maps that was anything but North facing. I'm 100% sure it's capable though.

Correct. As they said; "Bring your own maps".

14. JCastro macrumors 6502a

I can't wait to see what some of the big navigation companies might come out with. I have been holding out on getting a GPS for my car to see what might come. I love having an all in one devise. Google maps has been ok so far. Not great for navigating but ok.