Maps, Stocks, Weather, Notes in iPod Touch >>>

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by michaeldk5000, Nov 8, 2007.

1. michaeldk5000 macrumors newbie

Hello, I installed all of these applications on my iPod touch, and the icons are showing up normally on the home screen, but when I open any of them, they all crash and go back to the home screen after about 7 seconds. Any ideas where I've gone wrong?

Thanks,

Michael.

2. 864646 macrumors regular

3. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

4. Ilovemyipod macrumors regular

Ilovemyipod

How...

How did you get Maps.app and notes and mail on your touch.

(im a newbie at this hacking stuff)

5. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

...search the forums

6. michaeldk5000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello, I did change the permission and add the framework files, what should I do?

P.s. should I try restoring my iPodT and installing iJailbreak?

7. Anderzander macrumors member

What I put together from searching...

1. The first step is to jailbreak the iPod Touch.
    Use iJailbreak and follow the on screen instructions as you go along. For a preview of what it will do check out this video on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmP3hvs5P9I

2. Use the newly installed Installer.app to add useful apps.

I. Start with “Community Sources” & it will add a lot more apps to chose from to install.

II. Install “OpenSSH” & “BSD Subsystem” you won’t see them as icons but you’ll need them for other apps.

3. Connect to your iPod Touch from your computer. (To add more apps and backup)

I. Download your favorite sftp program. I used cyber duck.

II. Find your iPod Touch IP address. Settings>> WiFi >> Details of Current Connection.

III. Using your sftp program connect to the iPod Touch.?- root for the username /alpine for the password. Make sure to use SFTP and not plain old FTP. Also sftp is port 22 not 21 in case it helps.

IV. You can use this to add alot of third party apps into the Application folder but we will add the iPhone’s apps as an example in step 4.

4. Adding Mail, Stocks, Weather, & Maps to the iPod Touch.

first, download this file:
    http://www.sharebig.com/share.php?id=s4bcbekqmkJEHKPB

OR

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GN9CKYJX

After unzip, there are eight files / folders in total, and place them on your iPod Touch as follow, replace if prompted.

**note file permissions need to be set to 755 via ftp or ssh. REMEMBER, all files in folders and subfolders have to be in permission 755 for the apps to run properly – but on the files I downloaded they already were**

Weather.app, MobileMail.app, Stock.app, Maps.app, MobileNotes to /Applications/

GMM.framework to /System/Library/Frameworks/?Framework for Maps.app, MobileMail.app (Not sure if MobileMail need this tho, but I have GMM installed before installing MobileMail)

N45AP.plist to /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/?The file above is for enabling the add / edit calendar events

MobileMailSettings.bundle to /System/Library/PreferenceBundles/?The file above is for MobileMail’s accounts setting

5. Changing file permissions for the apps to work

in Terminal type

1) ssh -l root xxx.xxx.x.x

xxx.xxx.x.x = your Touch IP address - l = lower case L (LIMA)

2) enter password = alpine

chmod -R a+x /Applications/MobileMail.app
    chmod -R a+x /Applications/Maps.app
    chmod -R a+x /Applications/MobileNotes.app
    chmod -R a+x /Applications/Stocks.app
    chmod -R a+x /Applications/Weather.app

6. Changing the password on the SHH

in Terminal type

1) ssh -l root xxx.xxx.x.x

xxx.xxx.x.x = your Touch IP address - l = lower case L (LIMA)

2) enter password = alpine

3) type passwd

4) type in new password (you won't see it on your screen)

5 retype new password

done!

8. dirtboy macrumors newbie

dirtboy

thanks Anderzander

Hi Anderzander,

Thanks for the how-to.

I had visited jailbreak me and had a few items installed, but with your instructions I was easily able to ssh into the iPod Touch and add the package of apps.

good times...

9. JCPH macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A110a Safari/419.3)

sounds like you didn't install the framework files. You're using openssh and a program like cyberduck, right?

10. McPaul macrumors member

I'm getting a password authorization error.

your comment:

II. Using your sftp program connect to the iPod Touch.?- root for the username /alpine for the password. Make sure to use SFTP and not plain old FTP. Also sftp is port 22 not 21 in case it helps.

wasn't clear.

is the username:
    iPod Touch.?- root
    Touch.?- root
    ?- root
    - root
    or just root?

/alpine is what I'm using for password. have also tried alpine.
    iPod firmware is 1.1.1

help would be appreciated. thank you!

11. prnoct90 macrumors regular

crash

I followed your instructions exactly and made sure that the permissions were right. But, any time I try to run any of the applications they freeze and then crash back to the springboard. Any suggestions? I am running version 1.1.1.

12. David G. macrumors 6502a

uninstall the iphone apps you have on there now
    open the installer app
    sources
    edit
    add
    http://repo.us.to
    ok
    install
    all packages
    add iphone apps, making sure you install prep files too.
    enjoy

13. prnoct90 macrumors regular

thanks, that worked. One more thing, i'm currently in version 1.1.1, and so I can't edit the calendar. Is there a way to change this, or is there a way to safe update to version 1.1.2?

14. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Wait, what?

Just add repo.us.to to your sources and download/install from Installer.app.

Piece of cake.

If it's not working try restoring and jailbreaking again.

15. David G. macrumors 6502a

Follow directions found here, but start at step 2 and end with completion of 4.
    once your done with that, repeat what I said above while skipping "uninstall the iphone apps you have on there now"
    install the 1.1.2 versions instead.
    Sorry about making you do a few steps multiple times, I didn't really know you wanted that. It's totally worth it though.:)

16. prnoct90 macrumors regular

No the applications that were supposed to work do, like mail and weather. What im talking about is originally on the ipod touch you couldnt update or add events in the calander application, but with 1.1.2 they added that functionality. I was asking if there was any way for me to get that functionality or if there was a qay to do a safe update to 1.1.2 from 1.1.1, which is the current version i am running.

17. touchher macrumors regular

prnoct90, yes, you can update to 1.1.2 safely and still have be jailbroken. However, when you do this, it will delete all your music, photos, and videos from your iPod, and also any apps you have downloaded. So after you have done it you can just pop your iPod back into the computer so it can put your music etc back on... you will have to re-install all your apps from installer though. Here is the guide to updating to 1.1.2 with jailbreak. Enjoy!
    http://www.touchdev.net/wiki/Jailbreak_1.1.2

18. David G. macrumors 6502a

I don't know if I am misunderstanding you or your misunderstanding me but what I most recently posted gets you a jailbroken, calendar fixed, 1.1.2 ipod with iPhone apps.:confused:

19. prnoct90 macrumors regular

yah, I was posting that as you were posting the answer. Its all good, thanks for the help.

20. David G. macrumors 6502a

21. prnoct90 macrumors regular

problems

Ok I have just gotten to the part where I install 1.1.2. It installed fine. I downloaded the jailbreak. Now, my ipod is stuck on the locked screen (with the battery meter, where you have to unlock it) I see the loading symbol and it keeps beeping every couple of seconds. When I try to go to the folder and run osx it opens in Coda, my text editor. Is there something I should run this in?

22. David G. macrumors 6502a

23. David G. macrumors 6502a

Wait, I think I found something. Go to post # 15 (mine) then click the link. Scroll down to post # 30. Possible fix?

24. prnoct90 macrumors regular

ok I restored my ipod to version 1.1 using a file. Is there a way for me to get it to 1.1.1?

25. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

yes there is down load this. Its the official restore file for 1.1.1 simply restore the ipod using this file by either:

windows:
    holding down shift then pressing restore in itunes

mac:
    options key then restore in itunes

and pointing it to the downloaded restore file