Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
So far I love the GPS, but I am confused about the traffic. The only time I can actually see it is when I am in Overview and click resume. As it brings you back to the turn by turn, I can quickly see red dotted roads. There clearly has to be a better way.

gswilder

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2007
agree

I rarely get traffic information on apple maps. Have seen the red dotted lines just a few times. But they were accurate. Just not sure apple is showing a very thorough update of real time traffic. Google maps was so uncanny accurate on traffic. It was litterally real time, and accurate to within a tenth of a mile. I travel a lot. Drive 40k miles per year. (and i Miss streeet view):apple:

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
I don't know if it's a userbase issue or a system issue, but Apple maps shows no traffic in my city. Second largest city in my state. Google's traffic shows indicators even on side streets, especially during rush hour.

zzoomp09

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2012
nordern nu joizee
Just noticed that iOS6 might be gathering traffic info from you while you're driving. I saw the location services icon when I was driving to work for 30 miles, it only stopped showing the location services icon when I got to work. You can actually turn it off on Settings/Privacy/Location Services/System Services.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
I don't know if it's a userbase issue or a system issue, but Apple maps shows no traffic in my city. Second largest city in my state. Google's traffic shows indicators even on side streets, especially during rush hour.

It's a Apple maps sucks issue.

BuckeyeMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2012
I see lots of traffic here in Columbus, OH. However I only see the traffic before starting turn by turn. It should show the traffic in turn by turn as well!!!

moonman239

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2009
It should show it along the way and let you know if you will hit it. Hopefully they add that!

I imagine the traffic is factored into the drive time. It's worth noting that the phone will offer to change your route if it finds a better way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.