Maps/Turn by Turn without data

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by jjk454ss, Mar 8, 2014.

1. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I know I've seen some posts in the past, but I've largely ignored them since I had unlimited data. Not that I'm interested I can't find up to date info. I'm looking to get maps and preferably turn by turn direction using my ipad mini. I do have a data plan, but it's just part of our family share plan and I don't want yo use any more data than necessary. I know there are app like Copilot that store maps offline. Even Google Maps gas a way to store them offline. But what's my best options? Any do this and have experience with any of these apps with offline maps?

2. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

After lots of reviews and looking at screen shots, I went with Navigon. Really like it.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use Navigon which downloads the maps the your device and so you don't need a cellular connection to use it.

4. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Thanks, I'll check it out

5. TechiEmmanuel macrumors regular

TechiEmmanuel

I'm from DC, and use Apple Maps frequently with an iPad Air. About 150mi a month. It doesn't use much—about 20MB! I'm comfortable using it as much as I want on my T-Mobile 200MB plan. I think you'll be fine with using Apple Maps on your mobile share. Or, in some cases, you can turn off cellular for Maps and cache the route on Wi-Fi.

6. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

That's good to know, I like Apple maps best so I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

7. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

In case anyone is still interested....

I recently purchased the TomTom app and have been generally pleased with it. I'm sure that's partly due to the fact that my first GPS was a TomTom device. The nice thing about this app (and probably Navigon?) over the Apple or Google maps is searching for points of interest (restaurants, gas, etc.) along your route.

Both TomTom and Navigon go on sale regularly for ~$10 off.