Maps using location after raise to wake on lock screen

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by Galacticos, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Galacticos macrumors 6502a

Galacticos

This is a new thing that's happened after I did a hard reset the other day. Anyone else seen it?

2. Galacticos thread starter macrumors 6502a

Galacticos

I just read the description in location services and it says 'access to location is only available when this app or one of its features is visible on screen'.

So this must be a bug. It's .... annoying

Anyone been able to fix this problem if they've had it?

3. archvile macrumors regular

archvile

Have you checked under Location Services to see what app has or is using your location recently?

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Do you have Frequent locations turned on? If so, thats whats running.

5. ThunderMasterMind macrumors 6502

ThunderMasterMind

If you have this widget running, which I think is enabled by default, then that is probably what is doing it.

IMG_1973.JPG

6. Galacticos thread starter macrumors 6502a

Galacticos

It's the Maps app, which I never use.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 16, 2016 ---
    I've never adjusted this and wouldn't know where it is! My phone accessing location when I raise it but don't even unlock it is new since the last restart
    --- Post Merged, Nov 16, 2016 ---
    Is it? As I mentioned I've never adjusted these settings and it's a new 'phenomenon'

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Sounds like it's time to review various settings and change them as you'd want them to be.

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Settings -> Privacy -> Location Services -> System Services -> Frequent Locations.

This uses your GPS to monitor where you visits frequently to give you traffic notifications, parked car location and so on.

9. Galacticos thread starter macrumors 6502a

Galacticos

I appreciate the responses but I'm definitely noticing this as a new thing since the rest. All the settings have been that way for a while and I haven't noticed it until 4 days ago and it's repeating. Just to clarify it hasn't been related to the software.

I might close all the apps and give it a reboot and see how it goes

10. bransoj macrumors 6502a

As mentioned what widgets do you have enabled? I often see the locations symbol on screen when its locked and its due to having a few widgets that need it...such as the maps one mentioned above, weather ones etc. Been doing it for the last few updates.

11. Galacticos thread starter macrumors 6502a

Galacticos

Plenty that I suspect use the location services. Maps calendars Siri weather.
    I had just thought that these apps might use location services gathered from when one actually has a location using app on screen. I do notice these things on my phone usually so it seems new to me. At the risk of having the next comment quoted numerous times, in open to being wrong

12. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

Why don't you just do what people have already said such as turning off frequent locations and see if it fixes it.

13. addamas macrumors 6502

addamas

Why don't you look into system location services and look on icon ? Frequent locations and compass calibration for sure