Maps vs. Google Maps vs. Nokia's Maps

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by vmachiel, Jun 21, 2012.

1. vmachiel macrumors 68000

So, in a few weeks time we saw google's new maps, Apple's new maps and Nokia's maps for windows phone 8. What do you guy thinks so far? Which one is the best? Obviously, they're not all done yet but which one do the like?

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

At this point in time it's:
    1. Google
    2. Nokia
    3. Apple

3. wharzhee macrumors 6502

1. Google Map
    2. Maps
    3. Nokia's Map.

I rated Maps second cause I like the Siri integration with Maps.
    I used it one day, and I assigned Siri to direct me to a location.
    Siri even directed me in the background. The top section of the iPad would have little cute road signboards while my partner was using it to surf.

But Maps has a lot of erroneous data. Not as reliable as Google Map. But I can see the potential there.

4. vmachiel thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah, i still have a lot to do to make this beta final. Hope they provide better turn-by-turn for walking.

5. newagemac macrumors 68020

Correct me if I'm wrong but we haven't actually seen Apple's maps nor Nokia's maps for Windows 8 yet now have we? Your comparison is quite a few months too early.

6. The Phazer macrumors 68030

7. retrospek macrumors 6502a

retrospek

8. dietcokemac macrumors member

Definitely Google then Nokia, then Apple... but at least Apple is starting out in it, hopefully they bring some really interesting options really soon.

9. iPhoneApple macrumors 6502

Apple needs to improve their maps before they are top. They also need to use more of C3's maps; the ones they are using are really out of date

10. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

There are many map data companies in the world but the big three is

NAVTEQ owned by Nokia
    TeleAtlas owned by TomTom
    Google owned by Google

Nokia uses NVATEQ, MS's Bing uses NAVTEQ, Garmin uses NAVTEQ, Goolge uses Google, TomTom uses TeleAtlas, Apple uses TeleAtlas. All purchases satellite imagery from 3rd party companies including DigitalGlobe.

For navigation, ("..." : localized map data companies in small countries) :D

1 - Nokia(NAVTEQ, ...)
    2 - Apple(TeleAtlas, ...)
    3 - Google(Google, ...)

For user experience

1 - Google(Google, ...) - Street View, Traffic Information
    2 - Apple(TeleAtlas, ...) - Siri, Simple design, Seamless rotation, 3D
    3 - Nokia(Google, ...) - Nice design

11. vmachiel thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah, the comparison may be a bit unfair but base it on expectations, beta's, confirmed features, things that where demo'd etc.

12. dw3bb10 macrumors 6502

I dont think anyone will beat Google when it comes to maps. Not even Apple.

13. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Lamest thread ever....can we now compare the travel experience to the moon between Virgin, United and Cathay Pacific?

14. sakau2007 macrumors 6502

um, what are you talking about?

is it the lamest thread ever just because Apple clearly isn't the winner?

15. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Ummm..what are YOU talking about?

As stated earlier, only one of the map experiences is actually out there in a completed form. How can you compare it to those that won't be released for probably 4 months?

So I should just declare that the iPad 4 is better than the Windows Surface and "insert Android tablet here" right now?

16. sakau2007 macrumors 6502

so how long am i supposed to wait before i start comparing them? the fact is, apple maps DOES exist. it's just way behind google maps.

furthermore, google maps is not "complete". it is constantly evolving.

you realize siri has been in beta forever too, right?

17. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

What in God's Holy Name is the deal with maps these days? Is it just another way to brag about your choice of hardware? Really? I've said it a thousand times. If you ****ing don't know where you're going in the place you live or the town you live in, get a real GPS that uses actual satellite GPS location services or do it the old fashioned way. Look at a freakin map and remember where you're going. This has done me fine for 30 years.

Stop it with the ****ing maps already.

18. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Bad day?

I can't tell you how many times google maps has helped me out in the city I live, a new city, or anything else. So just because you would rather look like a tool and carry around a state map at all times, the rest of us would like to use them on our phones if we can.

19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

We have seen Apple maps. It more or less pretty damn close to what it is going to be like in the final release. Do not expect anything but minor bug fixes from this point forward to iOS 6 release. It is fair game to compare it to Google.

Nokia we have not fully seen it yet. They do have other mapping and navigation in use right now se we can kind of tell what it is going to be like and know what to expect

20. cristy.matt macrumors newbie

ios 6 on iPhone 5

Hello friends this this is really awesome. I herd that iPhone 5 is getting the iOS 6...

21. newagemac macrumors 68020

Thank you Tim Cook for coming to MacRumors to provide us with your plans for the Maps application in the final release. I really appreciate it.

/s

22. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

What I think is funny is people really expect a major change from the iOS 6 map app. You have to look no farther back than the other iOS. Anything that is from the release WWDC it only gets minor bug fixes.
    The only thing we do not know is things more or less are going to be in the iPhone 5 only. Things do not change much.
    We have seen what the map app will be like do not expect changes.

23. danahn17 macrumors 6502

Errr.... I had a real standalone GPS unit but when I picked up my Android phone with turn-by-turn navigation, it was good enough that I got rid of the standalone GPS unit. And I don't really use it where I live; I use it when I'm going somewhere unfamiliar. :rolleyes:

But anyways, I laughed at when I saw the majority of comments that received a downvote were the ones that ranked Apple last. A bit insecure are we?

24. newagemac macrumors 68020

No, what's funny is that the release notes for the Beta 1 specifically instructs developers that all of the mapping data is not in this particular Beta. If you had any clue at all, you would know that Apple does this quite often in early Betas. Even when they add something in Beta 2 for example, they often remove it again in another Beta and add it back in another later one. It's not until the GM that everything is usually all there at once.

But since apparently you're Tim Cook I guess you know things will be different this time and the release notes weren't real... there were just mistakenly slipped in by some intern or something. :rolleyes:

25. Radio macrumors 68000

wow - hater

maps are an amazing tool.

so youre old school. hope u aren't an iphone user :p

use your home phone! better yet write letters!!!!