Maps won't show current location

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by GP-SE, Oct 19, 2013.

1. GP-SE macrumors 6502

hey guys, I have a 2009 Mac Pro running Mavericks 10.9 GM.
    No issues at all except in maps the button to choose "current location" is greyed out, and I cannot choose my current location. I have location services turned on Under "privacy" in System Preferences. Any idea how to fix this?

2. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

Try turning off Location Services, restart, then turn back on Location Services. (when you restart, when asked if you want to reopen apps, uncheck this!)

If still no go, try a repair of permissions. Try using Google Maps in Safari to see if it can find your location - if it still can't, it's possibly an issue with your router misdirecting your location or even preventing it.

3. matthewadams macrumors regular

Are you using WiFi or Ethernet? Location services rely on Wifi, so make sure if thats on:) (and in case youre going over ethernet, rearrange the service order with ethernet on #1 in System Prefs - Networking).

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Doesn't work on a Mac Pro unless you install a Wi-Fi card. You can't just be on a network that has Wi-Fi, it must be installed. I have the same Mac Pro "problem".

5. GP-SE thread starter macrumors 6502

ahh I see, I'm using ethernet, not wi-fi.
    So unless I get a wifi card, it won't work correct?

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Correct, you must have a Wi-Fi card installed for it to work. Not sure why Apple doesn't allow your ethernet connection to a Wi-Fi enabled network to work but they don't.

Could be a little bit of the non legacy support (you need to upgrade) since all current Mac's have Wi-Fi.