March-2016 updates downloaded to Mac without requesting

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by macmacmacr, Mar 25, 2016.

1. macmacmacr macrumors member

In the directory /Library/updates/zzzz031-51746, /Library/updates/031-46047 and /Library/updates/031-46450 their are update files already downloaded on my drive even though I have not downloaded the updates.

CoreADI.pkg
    CoreFP.pkg
    FirmwareUpdate.pkg
    iTunesAccess.pkg
    iTunesXPatch.pkg
    MobileDevice.pkg
    Safari9.1Yosemite.pkg
    SecUpd2016-002Yosemite.pkg

Why are these files taking up space on my drive especially sine I have not updated from the App store?

2. 3568358 macrumors 6502

More than likely it is just recognizing that those are the files that would be downloaded but haven't actually downloaded. Could you check the size of the folder and reply back.

Also, if you haven't updated I recommend just update. Many bugs fixes and patches are implemented and can make the system run faster as well as save space not only because the update files will be deleted once you update but because if there are less bugs and internal crashes then there will be less diagnostic files from crashes.

3. macmacmacr thread starter macrumors member

the files have been downloaded. hence the file names the size doesn't matter.

4. Ritsuka macrumors 6502a

Check you App Store settings in System Preferences -> App Store.

5. macmacmacr thread starter macrumors member

I have both Install OSx updates and Install apps both unchecked or off. The files continue to be downloaded

6. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Is the App Store System Preference "Download newly available updates in the background" checkbox unchecked?

7. vexorg macrumors 6502a

Slightly off topic, on those updates, mine decided to do a reboot at an inconvenient time after selecting the "later" option