March 6th - The 'What If' Thread ...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by razorianfly, Feb 27, 2008.

1. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Ok, so the SDK is just around the corner, with hype event coming March the 6th. I've been thinking to myself what applications or features Apple may add to the platform (if any), on March the 6th. to make it actually function more, and appeal more, as a platform - and came up with a few.

Thinking on the lines of Apple wanting to make the touch platform, a true mobile environment, what if Apple were to, as previously rumored, release a further software update, again simultaneously to both iPod touch and iPhone, which would add the following two features on March 6th tying in with the, now confirmed, 'enterprise' features.

So, here are my 'What if' feature announcements:

Application Switching- Holding the home button would result in a faded black box/screen appearing over the home screen, with icons representing all current running applications you would then have the option to close or jump to that application.

Documents Folder - This would be added to the home screen, and would allow documents, photo's, video files, contact cards and other media to be saved from the likes of Safari, straight to you media partition. Also applications like Photo.app would gain a 'Send to Documents' option on individual photos (like the 'Set as Wallpaper' now).

What are your 'what if' applications/functions?

EDIT: Just noticed iTunes will check for an update again, on the 4th march. Tuesday, and 2 days before the SDK event, Coincidence? :)

R-Fly

2. intempo808 macrumors regular

I would love the following things:
    To Do List - Ok, so notes can act like this, but I want a dedicated application for it, with times and apointments.

Flash Player - I don't know if this counts as an application, but I would love it.

Videos on iTunes Music Store - Also not an application, but it would be really cool.

Thats about it... :p

3. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I like the Docs folder idea but don't really see the need for the App Switching function since you can only ever see one at a time, anyway, and they never "Quit" like apps do on a Mac.

I would say, yes, coincidence. I'm pretty sure it is a set amount of time that it checks from the last time it checked.

4. JoshHerrick macrumors newbie

Nice ideas, although the iTunes application checks for new firmware updates every week. The only reason they always seem like the check update date is so accurate is because they usually come on Tuesdays.

As was mentioned in another topic was if Apple/Starbucks release the order coffee from your iPod/iPhone.

Aswell, I hope that they allow some apps run as services so that we can implement copy and paste.

Aswell, don't forget Flash.

5. cowboy fan macrumors newbie

Flash

Videos in Wifi Music store

Customizable home screen

50-100$ price drop

6. razorianfly thread starter macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Why not drop the £12.66 ($20) for the January Software Update?

R-Fly

7. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I wonder if he means the ability to put a desktop picture?

8. swearbymac07 macrumors member

lol....

hmmm......To Do List...already there, click List View in Calendar and it takes you to times, days, and appointment spaces, just like iCal. :D:D

I would really like to see Finder, and Downloads from Safari with a restriction on 30MB (per Download) as to not clog up the Partition.

An updated Dock to make it clearly individual to the iPhone.

GBA Emulator (Fast One) someone.

Home Screen Theming / Customization

App Switcher is a good idea, could work. Only if you are in another application, like when a YouTube link is pressed in Safari, it switches to YouTube App. Thus an App Switcher would be great.

Increased Sensitiveness of Accelerometer, such as turning with you, not after.

Auto-Brightness fixing!!!!!! I'm sick of the fact you have to Lock/Unlock it to re dim the display, the increase bit works fine directly under a light or in the Sun.

Latest WebKit in Safari

Wireless 802.11 full backwards compatibility to .X

Thats all. Geez I sound picky in this post....well these are the things I am most annoyed about. I'm angry that I can't use my schools Wi-Fi on my iPod as they are 802.11x or something that doesn't work, even when I am holding the iPod literally 2 inches from the Base Station. :D:D

anyway

one last thing I just have to say (and MR, this is not a signature)
    :apple::apple::apple:!!!!!!!!!!!

9. jbarr macrumors regular

My hopes:
    • Notes syncing to either Outlook Memos or plain .txt files via iTunes
    • Calendar sync directly with Google Calendar via WiFi
    • Advanced Calculator
    • Ability to "save" viewed pages in Safari for later viewing offline
    • Maps saves more than one route for offline use
    • Cover-Flow sort options
    • WiFi Toggle icon (razorianfly, :p)
    I also really like razorianfly's Documents Folder idea.

10. MunnyGuy macrumors member

I am nex to the iPod/Mac world, but would love to see the ability to make an appointment by picking a contact from the CONTACT List or the ability to add a Contact to an appointment.

So far I cannot find a way to do this.

11. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

It's not "direct" but if you subscribe to a Google Calendar in iCal (or Outlook if it's possible) then your touch will sync to it every time you plug it in. The only thing that stinks is any entries you make on your iPod don't get synced back to GCal. But even if you could subscribe to a GCal from within your touch, it still wouldn't be able to add events back to the GCal. I don't know how they'd solve this problem.

12. razorianfly thread starter macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Ok, yeah I suppose the 'check' date is just a coincidence then :)

I have been thinking though, what if Apple plan to unveil a mobile version of iWork for the touch platform on March 06? I know, I as a current UK student would use this everyday. I wouldn't mind paying up to £30 for it, if the suite of applications deserved it. Of course for this to happen, the iPod touch and iPhone would have to gain disk mounting support (and a storage method as I stated in my original post). This could also correspond with 'enterprise' features, as well as them finally adding exchange support - according to the 'roadmap' invite.

Again this is all speculation, but, it's fun to speculate ;)

R-Fly

13. Tuta macrumors member

Tuta

I would like to see a better contacts lists --- sorting based on category -- actually pulling all the fields from yahoo syncs....

hopefully all of these features can be done easily, but that is actually my biggest complaint on the Touch.

jh

it plays music too???? ;)

14. jfull15 macrumors 6502

I love the Documents Folder idea, maybe watered down versions of the iWork Suite? Customization, definitely. iChat! Better .Mac integration! (some things im looking for, if not from Apple)