March 7th "Launch Event"...?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by takeablake, Feb 29, 2012.

1. takeablake macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en_US) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

So, this may be an obvious question, but I've looked around and haven't found an answer. I know that the event next Wednesday is supposed to be a "Launch Event" for the iPad, but does that mean they'll actually be available on that day to purchase? Or will it likely be a few weeks later?

Thanks!

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Nobody knows for sure until the 7th, but with previous launches of iPhones and iPads, the actual product launch has always been a week to a few weeks after the announcement event.

3. takeablake thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en_US) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ok, that's about what I figured. Would the price of the iPad 2 hypothetically drop next week too, even if the iPad 3 is a few weeks away? My guess would be no, but just curious how that's worked historically.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Last year, I believe the prices of the iPad dropped same day or the day after the product announcement event. No idea if that would be repeated this year.

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

6. bjmach macrumors 6502

Well with the rumor post a few days ago about possibly shipments already being sent to locations in the US then I'm hoping for a same day availability or maybe by the 9th. You figure they have to give people a few days to set up there tents lol

7. WLS macrumors 65816

If they are shipping to the states in quantity now then we may see an earlier availability If they are being all held in Hong Kong until the launch day then not so much . Last year they were not available until the second Friday of March. This year with the launch day coming on the 7th (but still the first Wednesday of March) , the second Friday could still be the availability day and that would be the 9th. One can only hope.

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

Or later availability in greater quantities. Tough to predict which.

In any event we'll find out next week.

9. RobS-UK macrumors member

This is what I am hoping for. I'm returning to the UK on the 11th from NYC - where I no doubt will have to wait several more weeks and pay significantly more!