March 9th... any chance of a new MBP?

BenFromPerth23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
Will the event be all about the new iWatch (Most common theory), or will their be other announcements? And could one of them be an update to the MBP range?

I haven't heard anything about it, so it's just wishful thinking. But does anyone think there's a chance? If so, why?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Nope not a lot

Will the event be all about the new iWatch (Most common theory), or will their be other announcements? And could one of them be an update to the MBP range?

I haven't heard anything about it, so it's just wishful thinking. But does anyone think there's a chance? If so, why?
No real chance, they have split the updates for airs and pro's and airs are due one. The chips are there for the airs for broadwell but not all of the broadwell chips for the pro's are available yet...

BenFromPerth23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
No real chance, they have split the updates for airs and pro's and airs are due one. The chips are there for the airs for broadwell but not all of the broadwell chips for the pro's are available yet...
That's kind of what I heard. But where are people getting that info from? (Regarding the Broadwells).

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Hey just saw your laptop specs. You know Apple will fix your computer free right? And re-imburse you if you paid anything to repair it.

Just announced a repair scheme. (And after a few failed repairs, they'll give you a new one. You could have yourself a 2015 at no cost if that happens.)

https://www.apple.com/au/support/macbookpro-videoissues/
Thanks for the heads up. I got a no-cost repair last April, after three failures within the 90 days warranty they replaced it with a new rMPB a couple of months later.

I left it there in the sig to make a point, maybe I should remove it now Apple 'fessed up!

BenFromPerth23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
Thanks for the heads up. I got a no-cost repair last April, after three failures within the 90 days warranty they replaced it with a new rMPB a couple of months later.

I left it there in the sig to make a point, maybe I should remove it now Apple 'fessed up!
Haha, good to know. :) I'm about to have my 3rd GPU repair in 3 weeks (4th repair total). They just spent $2000 (retail) on trying to fix this thing, but it's still glitching out (It's usable, but is definitely not fixed).

So fingers crossed they cut their losses and replace it. Hence why I'm hoping for an announcement on March 9th. :)

I say leave it in the signature. Apple knew of the problem for long enough and a lot of people just abandoned their laptops. It's "nice" that they did this, but it took FAR too long.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
No chance, and this type of question comes up all the time. Apple is bound by Intel's schedule.

When ever Apple announces a media event people ask if it will include new Macs and the answer is almost always no. In this case they won't do anything until Broadwell is released by Intel.

BenFromPerth23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
No chance, and this type of question comes up all the time. Apple is bound by Intel's schedule.

When ever Apple announces a media event people ask if it will include new Macs and the answer is almost always no. In this case they won't do anything until Broadwell is released by Intel.
Do we have an expected Broadwell release date? And is there any chance they could be ahead of schedule and keeping it hush hush so it's a big surprised?

Last edited:

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
At this point, Broadwell has been so delayed I wouldn't be surprised if Apple skipped it entirely in favor of Skylake, which is scheduled to launch in late Q2 '15.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I know you think...

At this point, Broadwell has been so delayed I wouldn't be surprised if Apple skipped it entirely in favor of Skylake, which is scheduled to launch in late Q2 '15.
.... that launch means all the chips available but it doesn't they roll them out different classes at a time. I can't see Apple getting skylake (U and H class) in their rMBP's until Q1 2016 at the earliest....

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/notebooks/37015-notebook-skylake-coming-in-q4-2015

They won't not have a refresh this year so expect broadwell around june...