March Madness '09 - Basketball

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by P-Worm, Mar 16, 2009.

1. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Well, the bracket has begun, so let's get the debates ragin'! My Utah Utes got a #5 seat and are slated to go up against #12 Arizona on Friday. Go Utes!

The MWC got shafted a bit with the tournament I thought with San Diego State being left out. I'm bummed, but this kind of stuff happens.

Follow the action here

P-Worm

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

^Almost all of that went straight over my head.

Had to follow the link to know what it was about.

Descriptive titles FTW.

3. P-Worm thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Sorry about that. I figured that March Madness was self-explanatory. Thanks for the fix.

P-Worm

4. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

If someone posted a thread simply entitled "Champions League" or "UEFA Cup", most Americans wouldn't have a clue as to what was being referred to.

We have a pretty international bunch reading and posting here. Good stuff.

As to the topic: I haven't gotten around to looking at the brackets in much detail yet, as my enthusiasm is dampened by the fact that Stanford's not in it this year. That, and I'm really upset that Arizona got in. They absolutely positively did NOT deserve to get in. I think some people on the selection committee thought it would be a better idea to preserve their streak of 20+ consecutive tourney appearances for marketing reasons instead of giving the slot to a more deserving, but lower-profile team.

If Ty Lawson is 100% healthy, I like North Carolina to win the whole thing.

5. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

6. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

I highly question his health, which is why I don't think they'll finish the job this year. Of course, being a Syracuse fan would have nothing to do with it. ;)

I feel that Louisville is the only top team that has finished on an upswing, beating my Cuse' team soundly in the Big East Finals.

I suppose the same argument applies to Memplis, but they played nobody of importance late, considering the weak conference they play in.......

7. P-Worm thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I think San Diego State deserved Arizona's spot at the very least.

P-Worm

8. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I just want to say congrats to my Alma Mater, Mississippi State, for upsetting Tennessee and winning the SEC tourney title. And sorry to whichever bubble team we kicked out by doing so. :)

I'll take it, though, since winning the tourney was the only way we could get to the big dance.

9. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

a lot of teams this year kinda backed into the tournament, hoping to get a bubble spot, and those spots shrunk from 7 to 1-2 after teams won conference tournaments and automatic bids.

arizona was the only team amongst those vying for the last spot to have 6 top 50 RPI wins. arizona beat San diego state in their one regular season meeting this year. if they really wanted to be in, they should have beat utah and got the automatic bid.

anyway, i hope we do well against you guys p-worm. jordan, chase, and nic can be monsters when they're on. good luck utah, you're gonna need it.

10. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

11. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

LET'S GO DEVILS!

Ty Lawson can stay home in bed for all I care. I actually live in Chapel Hill, the home of the despicable establishment known as UNC.

12. eyefoniac macrumors 6502

eyefoniac

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

jayhawks all the way

diehard kansas fan all my life

14. P-Worm thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Well, all the Utah teams in the tournament (BYU, Utah, and Utah State) got knocked out in the first round. Utah State lost by one point and Utah got dominated after showing an ugly performance last night. :(

P-Worm

15. WordLife565 macrumors regular

16. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Rock! Chalk! Jayhawk! Rub my forehead vigorously with a cheese grater!