Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

March Madness Comes to iPad and iPhone March 7 for $3.99

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As it has in previous years, the NCAA division I men's basketball tournament -- also known as March Madness -- will be streamed both online and to iPhones and iPads. Unlike previous years, iPad and iPhone users will need to pay a $3.99 to watch the Big Dance. CBS and Turner are sharing the NCAA broadcast duties across four television stations. Here's how it breaks down:

Mac users will be able to watch all the CBS-broadcast games for free on CBSSports.com. Games aired on TBS, TNT and TruTV will be available to authenticated watchers of certain pay-tv providers.

For iPad and iPhone viewers, everyone will be required to pay a $3.99 fee to watch the entire tournament. That fee covers all devices, so no mucking about with authentication to watch tournament games on the Mac. Once the fee is paid, all 67 games will be streamable on iOS via Wi-Fi or 3G.

NCAA(r) March Madness(r) Live will offer higher quality live video streams across platforms; video highlights for every game of the Tournament on the iPhone and Android phones; live game alerts for Android phones, as well as iPhones and iPads; an updated design; and live radio broadcast courtesy of Westwood One/Dial Global Radio Network, for all 67 games across the suite of digital products. In addition to the new offerings, NCAA(r) March Madness(r) Live will again provide the same fan-favorite features from last year including: schedules and live game scoring, live tournament brackets, personal channel lineup features, live stats, and live social companion views.
The NCAA March Madness apps for iPhone and iPad will go live on March 7, in time for the tournament to begin on March 13. Sign up on the NCAA's March Madness website to be notified when the apps go live.

Article Link: March Madness Comes to iPad and iPhone March 7 for $3.99

nsfw

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2009
People not willing to pay $4 for 67 games is whats wrong with media today. You expect everything to be free or your will steal it. The funny thing is you have no problem paying $4.25 for a non-fat mocha cappuccino.
I have no issue with the $4, I just think this will be a test to eventually charge $19.95 in the coming years.

Surreal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
Right 4 dollars is so very little if you actually like watching the games. TV shows cost a solid amount more per episode and are, in general, shorter than a basketball game and NOT LIVE.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
I think being able to watch the 67 games of the 2012 tournament qualifies as a "new feature", and a ton of people are going to pay it.

Reminds me of this... http://theoatmeal.com/blog/apps

Funny cartoon, but not quite the same. Last year, every game was free. The year before, every game was free. This year on the Mac, every game is free. So... Let's get a million to pay $4 bucks and make $4 million because of the device I watch it on? No thanks. If $4 bucks is worth it to you, great. Pay up. I'll just watch it for free on my computer. If mobile is your only way to see the games, aren't you pissed theyre bending you over?

How many of you subscribe to Murdoch's sites when you can get the same free, elsewhere? Right. Pay walls don't work when contents readily available for free. If youre comfortable being nicked and dimmed today, you're gonna get crushed tomorrow.

JKColo22

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2009
I'll just watch it for free on my computer.

It's not really free on the computer.

MacRumors said:
Games aired on TBS, TNT and TruTV will be available to authenticated watchers of certain pay-tv providers.

If mobile is your only way to see the games, aren't you pissed theyre bending you over?

No. $4 is not "bending anyone over." I pay one dollar less to watch one single episode of my favorite show on iTunes while I'm on a plane. I'll pay $4 to watch 64 games of LIVE basketball. People are willing to pay nominal fees for convenience. If your so against paying for convenience why don't you ditch your cable for rabbit ears and high speed internet for dial-up and just go watch the games at the bars instead. Give me a break.

btdpi007

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
North Carolina
Funny cartoon, but not quite the same. Last year, every game was free. The year before, every game was free. This year on the Mac, every game is free. So... Let's get a million to pay $4 bucks and make $4 million because of the device I watch it on? No thanks. If $4 bucks is worth it to you, great. Pay up. I'll just watch it for free on my computer. If mobile is your only way to see the games, aren't you pissed theyre bending you over?

How many of you subscribe to Murdoch's sites when you can get the same free, elsewhere? Right. Pay walls don't work when contents readily available for free. If youre comfortable being nicked and dimmed today, you're gonna get crushed tomorrow.

On your Mac the games aren't exactly free. You'll have to log-in with your cable/ satellite provider credentials. Again, not exactly free.

$4 is pretty much a steal as it is my understanding you won't have to be a subscriber to any of the cable channels airing the games. If the app has Airplay and you can watch it via Apple TV then it has become a lot more interesting... albeit pretty interesting already.

Dainin

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2009
Story said:
Mac users will be able to watch all the CBS-broadcast games for free on CBSSports.com

This is what pisses me off. Charging me for watching it on one device vs another. Sure $4 is cheep for all the games, but they are completely free if I watch them on my PC. That makes no logical sense.

tido2012

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought this was actually a great deal! Im looking forward to watching bees in the ER with the Wi-Fi at the hospital

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
This is what pisses me off. Charging me for watching it on one device vs another. Sure $4 is cheep for all the games, but they are completely free if I watch them on my PC. That makes no logical sense.

Yeah.....because it didn't cost them any money to develop the app for iOS.

RotaryP7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2011
Miami, FL

Honestly, it should be more than $4. Everyone saying it's a rip, this deal is a bargain. Those people who cannot watch the games at home because of work or because they don't have cable now have the chance in doing so for only.. $4.

I'm speechless. Why don't some of you give thanks to the people who make these apps? I'm sure they work for a living as well.

btdpi007

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
North Carolina
I am astounded by the fact that people don't want to pay $4 for an app. Fifteen... um, ten.... five years ago if I was told I could get quality software (the word apps wasn't really in our lexicon before the iPhone) for $10 I would've been floored, but for $1, $2, and even $4 I am in awe. There are times when a free app fits my needs, but I'll purchase the "pro" version to support the developer.

Really, in 2006 if someone said listen I can give you access to the entire NCAA Mens BB tourney for $4, I wouldn't have even hesitated and would've turned around and mouthed "sucker".

If $4 is not in your budget or you feel it's too expensive, enjoy watching the games on CBS, TBS, etc.

millertime021

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
AZ
$4?!?! What a bunch of horse ******.

*signs up to be notified when to purchase app*

And seriously, how else can you watch March Madness everywhere?!!

Photo was last year.

Attachments

• 197137_1931478765671_1203319200_32382586_7463859_n (1).jpg
    197137_1931478765671_1203319200_32382586_7463859_n (1).jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

jackyk

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2011
so once you get this 3.99 app, is there a way to send the video signal to a cinema display or any monitor?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.