Marine WiFi Antenna for 10.6.8

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by McBkPro, Jul 29, 2011.

1. McBkPro macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

My family and I are cruising though American for the coming months. On the boat we need wifi for not only entertainment but mainly work and it is quite a hassle sometimes to search for a place that has WiFi. Therefore we are searching for a omni-directional WiFi antenna that we can hook up somewhere on the boat and can receive a signal from far away with ease. We own one Macbook, Macbook Pro and an iPad. Both laptops are running Snow Leopard 10.6.8.I have been searching a loin the past weeks but haven't found anything suitable yet :( I assume some of you have either experience or simply good knowledge about this matter. I await your replies. :D

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I'm a bit confused about what you think you're going to accomplish by placing a WiFi antenna on your boat. You're still going to have to be close to an access point of some kind to use it. If you need internet access in the middle of the ocean you'll need to look into a satellite connection.

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

or get a personal hotspot, all of the cell companies sell them, and as long as you're within a few miles of shore, you should get coverage.

4. thebabystig macrumors newbie

There's a company that provides great solutions to RVers for boosting WiFi, and they just recently released a new product that's for Marine WiFi.

The company is WiFiRanger.com

They are known for making complete, all-in-one solutions that are really powerful and easy to use. I know there's a lot of RV and Marine WiFi solutions out there that really are complicated and not user-friendly. From the sound of it, you may indeed want to get some 3G / 4G device and plan for when you're not in a Marina and able to receive WiFi from shore. Otherwise you could use the product they make for receiving WiFi using their powerful Omnidirectional antenna and WiFi radio that's really simple and easy to use.

Here's a link to take a peek at the WiFiRanger Marine product which may be what you're looking for.