Mario Galaxy interview

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Dagless, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

http://uk.wii.com/software/interviews/mario_galaxy/vol1/

These guys are geniuses.

Turns out this studio (new EAD group), wanted to build a small game with new characters. But Shigsy toddled along and told them to make a bigger game with Mario.

They've also built the controls to be accessible by all, but at the same time the game itself said to be harder than Sunshine (check the health bar bit). Which is exactly how a game should be.

2. Agilus macrumors regular

Harder than Mario Sunshine? Didn't most people complain about Mario Sunshine being -too- difficult (not that the difficulty bothered me)?

Maybe they were just complaining about the annoying parts where you had to use your silhouette to navigate. Those were definitely a pain.

3. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

yeah well there is a thin line between "tedious" and "challenging" but that fine line means the difference between great fun and unbearable frustrarion ;)

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I loved MS! but unfortunetly some of the levels in Mario Sunshine - especially the portal levels - really were utterly fustrating and not that well designed, especially after Mario64

The game just wasn't as 'balanced' as it should have been.

5. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I bet it gets delayed :p

7. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

still won't break my heart, there are too many good games coming out in the next bit anyway :p

But it won't so :p don't be so negative MRU

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I think that should be my superhero name.... Negative MRU... I turn everything black and white :D:D:D:D

It's going to bee great. See I can do the 'nintendo :rolleyes: in-jokes' too :p:D

9. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Going to go preorder this game now. At my Target, if you do, you get this Mario Coin Figurine thingy.

EDIT: NOVEMBER 1st????? I thought it was the 12th!!

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I don't quite get why they always talk about spherical platforms as ground breaking. I'm excited because this game feels like a true Mario game; but spherical platforms is not new.

Sonic Adventure 2 did it back on the Dreamcast and as a first-year GameCube title!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=qQYvp5XDM3s&mode=related&search=
    Feel free to skip the first 35 seconds and mute the sound :p

That vid only shows maybe two but there were a ton of spherical worlds you could run around on and explore on that stage.

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ Your quite right. But maybe SA2:SB sucked so it doesn't count ;) Nah seriously, from the videos of Mario Galaxy, albeit it looks fantastic, I honestly can't say I have seen anything paticularly 'innovative™'

12. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Agreed. I wouldn't mind a more difficult Mario game, but if they have the same Blue Coin collecting where there is no checklist of the ones you've collected within the game then i will be quite peeved. I never beat Sunshine because i collected all but two Blue Coins between the however many worlds and cannot find which 2 i missed!!!!! :mad:

13. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

But I liked SA2:B :( I'm in the minority there, of course :)

14. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Nov 1 is Japan, Nov 12 for the states. Though that's the "release date." The "street date," when you can actually buy it, is the next day.

15. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

EU gets it 4 days later, which is stellar compared to Prime 3.

Prime 3 and Galaxy in the next few weeks. As if Team Fortress 2 hasn't already taken my free time. Abandon Tormishire temporarily ;)

16. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

yeah but you can say that about every big game. Did Halo 3 really do anything different? Did Metriod? Or TP? Or [insert sequel here]? Hell even the Wiimote doesn't change much, like That Zero Punctuation dude said, 'instead of mashing buttons we're waggling a stick" And it wouldn't be fair or realistic to think that nintendo is gonna risk any chance of its baby being ****ed up because they tried to think way outside the box.

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^indeed, what I'm a little concern with is being disoriented playing this topsy turny game. I'm sure the game will be good but it wont go too far from the mario 64 formula. All of the big guns stick to what made them great(?) and you can't blame them....I'm expecting more of the same old from galaxy.

Bless

18. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I dunno, I don't think Galaxy is anything too new, but it looks like a total rethink of the platform genre whilst also looking like it will play similar to the more classic Mario games.

If anything it reminds me of them old Dragon Ball Z episodes where Goku would go to that training thingy planet that was small but with high gravity. Ever since that episode I've always wanted to play a full game like that. Heres hoping it has some Portal-esque mind bending puzzles to solve too.

19. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Everything I've seen of SMG screams "must buy" but then again I'd expect no less from Miyamoto; the guy's a master of his craft, no doubt.

That release is creeping up...seems like it's taken forever thus far but now it's not too far away. Finally...something I can really get into and give my Wii some playtime. ;)

20. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Super Portal Mario = w-i-n

21. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I'm thinking of buying it but wondering if its the sort of game that will give me cyber sickness