Mario Kart 7

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Dagless, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Well this is probably the best Mario Kart game I've ever played. Things I have used my skills to notice;

-100cc is slightly taxing, which is a step above every other MK game where 150cc was a drive through the park.
    -Blue shells and lightning are still annoying and theres always one of those per race. But these are the only 2 annoying things in the game, even Toad's voice doesn't grate. The Mii's voice is now the worst.
    -Buckets of content! The whole "build your own kart" thing is great. I've never experimented so much in a MK game, 4 hours in and I'm still searching for my fave setup.

Are we sharing 3DS friend codes to play against each other? Mine be-
    1977-0309-7350

It's about time the 3DS got some proper games. Between this and Mario 3D Land I'm sorted :).

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

And I bet u play with 3d off lol

3. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

I was playing it during lunch. My girlfriend was trying to talk to me and I was inadvertently ignoring her.

Love the cart customization too and the courses are a lot of fun. Still doing the Grand Prix trying to get all the different unlocks. Still haven't gone online yet.

And this game is way more immersive with the 3D on. And I agree with you, this and 3D Land totally justifies owning a 3DS.

4. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

^ My plan is to finish 150cc on all courses before I properly take it online.

No sir, although I believe this and Mario 3D Land aren't so heavy on the 3D effect. Neither have the 3D depth of Ocarina of Time.

5. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Halfway through 150cc mode and I swear this is the best Mario Kart I've played. Went on a business trip/awards thing over the weekend and pulled up loads of Streetpass data (I live in the middle of nowhere so it's an event for me :D) and it works marvellously. It even throws in random Streetpass players into offline/single player Grand Prix games.

And the unlocks! This is what keeps me playing GT PSP, I'm 6 hours in and I'm still unlocking new content.

6. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Absolutely loving Mario Kart 7. I agree it's the best yet. Love the better customisation of the karts. I play with the 3D all the way up too and adds so much depth to the game, I haven't got Mario 3D land yet but intend too. I got the 3DS on launch but it's only now that its starting to take off tbh.

Feel free to add me as a friend as well guys:

2320-6142-1716 and names Adam. I've added you OP.

7. ChristJasusa macrumors newbie

8. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I'm debating whether to buy this game. I already have Mario Kart DS and I still play it from time to time with a couple of friends. I regard it as the best handheld Mario game ever made. It holds a very special place in my heart since I have played it since it came out, and even to this day, it never once, got boring. I used to play it on the bus to my high school and to pass the time, me and my friends all decided to buy MKDS and play it. After about a month, practically the whole bus was playing with each other. We had to make groups since there were about 20 people on the bus and we couldn't all play together. Really, it was the most fun I've had while riding the bus. :)

The thing about this game, though, is it doesn't have more new stuff. I've read reviews of the game and most of them give it a 9/10 but I read Destructoid's review and they gave it 5/10. And I actually agree with Destructoid's review. There isn't more new stuff. It's like they rushed it a bit to boost 3DS sales.

My 3DS is collecting dust so I do want new games but this is the one one that is out that I like so far so I'm kinda on the fence. I do like the look of the new tracks and the new flower shot weapon. I've also heard they took off snaking in this version. I don't know about you guys but snaking was fun in the DS version. Playing without it seems boring to me and adds a bit of skill in an other wise luck based game. We even learned how to avoid the blue shell. Boy that was fun.

I'm just having a hard time justifying buying this game.

9. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Yup, get it. I loved MKDS too but this one is my face so far. The new courses are great, the new power ups are kinda good... it's hard to put my finger on why exactly but it is the best in the series so far.

10. Watabou, Jan 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012

Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Yeah I caved and bought it today.

Well if anyone wants to play, my friend code is 2707-1615-3159.

I'll probably not start playing online until I finish all of the grand prix races.

First impressions:

1. 3D effect is really quite nice. I'm playing with it on at all times and it's really fun.
    2. It's hard work getting 3 stars on even 100cc classes. I've only gotten one 3 stars in 100cc and I haven't touched 150cc yet. Definitely more difficult than MKDS.
    3. Customizations are nice and I love unlocking new things. I haven't unlocked any new characters yet though. And I have no idea what new characters are there in this game or how to unlock them. I just hope they kept Dry Bones in this game. He was my fave in MKDS since he looked awesome.
    4. Lightening is so annoying. Really, nothing feels worse when you lose your coins. It didn't matter in MKDS but it does in this game.

That said, I am frankly amazed Nintendo decided to remove the VS. feature. So if I want to play a specific track with 8 computer players, I can't unless I do a grand prix which isn't the same. Also, this game feels like it's missing something. I don't know how else to put it. It lacks the charm that MKDS has.

And don't even get me started how difficult it is now just to get a boost from a drift in this game. Seriously. Nintendo listened to players saying they don't want snaking in this game. Okay, fine with me. But they purposely made it feel way less fluid to drift and get the boost than MKDS. I mean can't they just have programmed it so you can't drift on straightaways? It just seems stupid to me. I hate it when I can't even drift properly on corners now. It takes much more effort and the effort is basically useless since the boost isn't that substantial.