Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
I always played Peach. :eek: Here be the carts I used to beat 150cc and 150cc Mirror. I looked at the records for reference:
-tank (24)
-jeep (12)
-yellow cart (3)

I used mostly Yoshi's egg (4) to beat the time trials.

I just remember an event where I threw my DS on the ground after gnawing on it. It happened during the 150cc race going forward. After playing through 150cc , the mirror tracks were pretty easy.

<]=)

Poopface Morty

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
Iowa
The DS version allowed plenty of tricks and techniques to avoid the frustration.
Like how? How would one avoid those blue shells or lightning bolts when you're constantly in first (well, by constantly I mean up until the last lap before the finish)? Time your item boxes perfectly so you get a ghost everytime?

I've cleared all of the cups as well on 150cc, but never bothered with Mirror mode as the frustration factor was a bit much.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Like how? How would one avoid those blue shells or lightning bolts when you're constantly in first (well, by constantly I mean up until the last lap before the finish)? Time your item boxes perfectly so you get a ghost everytime?

I've cleared all of the cups as well on 150cc, but never bothered with Mirror mode as the frustration factor was a bit much.

Powersliding the instant the blue shell hits can actually be used to dodge it. The thunderbolt always even things out; the first place person is affected more than the person behind him, and so on and so forth. It really even things out.

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
I beat 150cc with Yoshi, DK, and WaLuigi...just played till I did it. It can be done pretty quickly....getting the star rating or whatever on all courses is the trickier part...I think impossible without snaking...

It would be neat to add a feature to the Wii version...kind of like the anti-camper feature I remember in Quake 1. If you sat in one place for X amount of time you blew up and took one frag off your count. Have where you can set X amounts of power slides per course...someone can snake but they have to strategically choose when to do so...much more fun.

Paul

Poopface Morty

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
Iowa
Powersliding the instant the blue shell hits can actually be used to dodge it. The thunderbolt always even things out; the first place person is affected more than the person behind him, and so on and so forth. It really even things out.
I've tried that countless times with the powerslide before the shell hits, with no success. Unless my timing is way off, I'm inclined to believe that this is nearly impossible. And the lightning bolt? I went from 1st to 8th place several times because of that on Rainbow Road, after I had flawlessly launched through the prior to races, but still had to suck on some bronze medal at the end of the cup. I think plenty balance can be had if you got rid of those two items, or severely limit their frequency, because putting too much emphasis on items takes away a ton from skill required to actually race, something needed in the earlier MK games.

Seriously, I consider F-Zero GX on it's hardest settings to be less frustrating than the DS version of Mario Kart.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
The blue shell and lighting when played with friends are always enjoyable in a frustrating way. Kind of like Tetris DS and its evil-mess-up items.

Even though you can't get the above items in first, there are still plenty of good items to be had, which can be used as defense and offense. I've been knocked out of first, then got the blue shell right after. I've also shot myself with the blue shell not realizing I had just become first. :eek: The game is full of chance, but lots of practice/skill always prevailed over it. Until my friends got good at driving their carts, I always won.

<]=)

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I've tried that countless times with the powerslide before the shell hits, with no success. Unless my timing is way off, I'm inclined to believe that this is nearly impossible. And the lightning bolt? I went from 1st to 8th place several times because of that on Rainbow Road, after I had flawlessly launched through the prior to races, but still had to suck on some bronze medal at the end of the cup.

I've never lost more than two places cause of a lightning bolt...maybe three at most. I've never, ever survived a blue shell hit but I've seen people do it so I know it's possible...I even have friends that can do it every time. I'll have to ask him to show me some day.

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
I played a guy on the sky train here one day during a pretty long ride. He showed me how if you have a speed boost saved from before you were in the lead you can use that to speed out of the way of the blue shell. It takes timing but can be done. Never tried powersliding out as I suck at that :)

Paul

Poopface Morty

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
Iowa
I've never lost more than two places cause of a lightning bolt...maybe three at most. I've never, ever survived a blue shell hit but I've seen people do it so I know it's possible...I even have friends that can do it every time. I'll have to ask him to show me some day.

Again, the lightning bolt issue I have is on Rainbow Road; any other race it's more annoying than frustrating, but when it's the final course of the proper final cup, on 150cc getting hit by one while you are on those loops will cause you to take a LONG fall into the abyss below and restart at the beginning of that loop, that is more than enough to say that item can be at least deactivated or something for that level (kind of like the jump feather was in the SNES game, in some levels). That has happened to me more than once, as well, and you lose more than just a few places because of it. And no items are going to save you on the last lap right before the finish if you get hit by a spiny shell (looks at Baby Park). Maybe I have a super rare gamepak that makes the game more frustrating than necessary.

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
I think I had trouble winning on that course. Still beat the 150 cc circuit though...just have a B rating instead of a star or whatever. For some reason it was easier to beat that set of four by not winning the other three. If I won one and then got second in another and so on there wasn't one main computer winner and points were more evenly distributed and it made it easier for me to win if that makes sense...

Paul

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.